What's the lowest you've seen HUD go?

What's the lowest you've seen HUD go?

Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 0 votes

What's the lowest percentage of the asking price you've seen HUD accept? I'm looking at a flip property but would need to buy it for about 50% of the asking price to make it work.

They're asking $35,000

My numbers would look like this:

Purchase price = $17,350

Repairs = $15,000

Sale Price based on comps = $55,000

Commission = $1,650

Seller Concessions = $1,000

Profit = $20,000

Any thoughts on the likelihood of getting a 50% offer accepted?

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Roswell, GA · Member since 2008 · 231 posts · 104 votes
12y

I keep track of all the properties that enter the Extended phase in my target buying area. I can tell you that the lowest % of List Price that has been accepted in 2013 in my area is 56.6%. Here were the stats of that property:

  • Appraisal = $107,000
  • List Price = $85,600
  • Winning Bid = $48,410 (net to HUD)
  • DOM = 117 days (from Appraisal Date)

Only 9 out of 327 properties sold for less than 70% of List Price.

Hope this helps!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Minooka, IL · Member since 2013 · 353 posts · 85 votes
    12y

    I say offer it. What's the worst that can happen?

  • Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    That's my thought. There's only one way to find out if they'll take it. I've never purchased a HUD property before and was curious about any potential patterns or rules of thumb regarding accepted offers.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y
    You can offer it, but I doubt they will accept it when Chinese buyers pay 75% to 80%.

    Joe Gore
  • Investor · Roswell, GA · Member since 2008 · 231 posts · 104 votes
    12y

    I keep track of all the properties that enter the Extended phase in my target buying area. I can tell you that the lowest % of List Price that has been accepted in 2013 in my area is 56.6%. Here were the stats of that property:

    • Appraisal = $107,000
    • List Price = $85,600
    • Winning Bid = $48,410 (net to HUD)
    • DOM = 117 days (from Appraisal Date)

    Only 9 out of 327 properties sold for less than 70% of List Price.

    Hope this helps!

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed

    My experience has been similar to @Stan Butler , but go for it, the longer its on the market the lower they will accept.

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2013 · 38 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    I advise my buyers to offer 70%, 80% or 88% net of the sales price after commissions. That is what I see the thresholds as in my area, but your results may differ.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.