• Fremont, CA
Votes |
need a payoff from property purchased at trustee sale

Rachel Zhang
  • Investor
  • Fremont, CA
Posted May 31 2015, 15:23

Hello, 

We bought a property in CA at a trustee sale with an existing senior lien under the previous owner's name. Now my title company and are having difficulty in obtaining payoff amount. By standard, the serve company requires the lien holder's SS /loan # or authorization to release payofd. Even through I faxed over the trustee's deed upon sale, the reps won't understand or do not care, always give me the standard response. Shall I try different title company or have difficult strategy? By law, when i am on title, I am responsible for the lien, which should serves as an authorization. Right? are there any specific language in the mortgage or the law code to indicate such? The lien is delinquent, and I am offering to pay it off. where wont' they give to me? Talking to the rep at the serve company is like talking to a wall. They are not educated or do not care to be educated.  Thanks for your response.  Rachel

User Stats

Votes
Ron S.#2 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
Votes |
  • Paradise, CA
Replied Jun 9 2015, 13:41

@Dion - Thanks but, that's not a rule, just a proposal and while I think it's a great proposal, it still doesn't apply to the OP. She's not a successor in interest for the purposes of the proposal in your link. The borrower did not transfer ownership to her. Per the link, the definition is: “[o]ne who follows another in ownership or control of property.” Black’s Law Dictionary (9th ed. 2009). For the purposes of this proposal, the Bureau is referring to successors in interest who have been transferred a legal interest in a property securing a mortgage loan from a borrower on the mortgage loan; the successor in interest may not necessarily have assumed the mortgage loan obligation (i.e., legal liability for themortgage debt) under State law, and the servicer may not necessarily have agreed to add the successor in interest as obligor on the mortgage loan.

I think this is why attorneys exist. To extract money out of people who interpret things differently.

User Stats

Votes
Dion DePaoli
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northwest Indiana, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northwest Indiana, IN
Replied Jun 9 2015, 15:51

Ron,

While there is content which deals with that type of successor, it is not limited to that only.  I realize the rule guidance is long.  There is actually a ton of guidance on many different topics inside that guidance including but not limited to payment allocation, force placed insurance, bankruptcy responses, payoff demands and others topics as they related to the amendments of RESPA and TILA or Regulations Z and X which is what govern mortgage settlement and servicing.  

Further, the guidance is issued and expected to be followed and has an effective date post publication.  The rule will still be looked to and used in responses to those situations related to mortgage servicing, payment allocation and foreclosure avoidance.  All of those do apply here.

Additionally, becoming a property owner by way of foreclosure sale and sheriff deed or certificate of title is an operation of law.  The OP is a "Successor" by that operation of law.  The OP follows in the same interest as the previous property owner since she has become the 'new' property owner.

The rule draws distinction among certain fields of data which may be available to certain parties while excluded to other parties.   

A Mortgagee does not possess an equitable right to the property.  They possess a legal right which grants them the capacity to foreclosure.  The rule mandates foreclosure avoidance when possible.  That would also apply in this case.  The OP is planning to pay the loan in full which creates by definition an avoidance of foreclosure onto the borrower.

At this stage I am not sure what your real argument here is.  Moral of the story as I have already stated, OP contact the CFPB they are the folks who you would complain to and can help when issues arise from mortgage servicing, which is what this exactly is.  Good Luck.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Rachel Zhang
  • Investor
  • Fremont, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fremont, CA
Replied Jun 10 2015, 15:38

Hi all, 

I have good news to report. Finally the payoff amount is received with the help of all your inputs and civil code etc. Seterus Inc is a division of IBM and I googled and found the contact in the upper management and email her/him and got it sort out in 24 hours! 

After the payoff with my own fund, I will  do a cash- out refi with a new lender. The reason why the new lender can not payoff the existing lien is that the lien has NOT been paid during last 12 months.  My title company will issue a title insurance for the new loan upon the reconveyance being recorded. It may take a while. What can I or the service company or the title co do to not let the reconveyance recoding get in the way? If the service company issues a letter indicating that the lien is paid off, can title company use it as a proof to issue the title insurance? The refi usually takes 30 to 40 days, Usually by that time, the reconveyance should be recorded. Right? I do not want to run out of the rate lock window. After all, it will be a smaller issue compared with the payoff demand.

Thanks again, everyone for staying with me with your comments, recommendations, especially @Dion Depaoli, @K. Marie Poe @Brian burke

User Stats

Votes
Dion DePaoli
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northwest Indiana, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northwest Indiana, IN
Replied Jun 11 2015, 09:41

There is no reconveyance.  A Mortgagee does not own the property so they can not convey it.  The Mortgagee can satisfy their lien by filing a satisfaction of lien with the county.  The title company can pull that satisfaction from record once recorded and all should be good.  The title company will issue a title commitment during your refinance which will condition the lien be satisfied.  The new lender may not close until the lien is satisfied.  If you are worried about rate lock expiring just do not lock your rate until you see the satisfaction recorded.

Account Closed
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 11 2015, 10:28

@Dion DePaoli

In our neck of the woods it is called a reconveyance.  When the deed of trust and note are satisfied beneficiary completes an 'request for reconveyance', sometimes on the back of the deed of trust itself, and delivers request, note and dot to trustee who then records a deed of reconveyance.