Direct mail: good letter?

14 Replies

Hi BP

If you have success with direct mail targeted pre-foreclosure, would you share the content of your letter with me?

I'm about to mail a list of properties scheduled for upcoming foreclosure auction due to mortgage delinquency. To improve my response rate I was hoping that some of you are willing to share your mastered letter with me.

I need something similar for tax deed sales as well

What is the purpose of buying tax deeds? I'm curious. I still have a lot to learn.

@Chris Frydenlund its a very cool process!!! Can be very lucrative!!! Buying tax certificates can be much better than a 401k plan by a long shot!!!!! Tax deeds can be very nice as well!!!!

Sorry should of answered your question. Tax certificates are where you pay the backed taxes for whatever's owed then in order to get the property back the owner must pay the backed taxes plus whatever interest rate that particular county sets. If they don't within the timeframe they set you then get the property. Tax deeds you pay the taxes and secure the property. Pretty cool process

@Ashley Hernandez : sounds interesting. What if they pay you back? Do you make a profit? So if they don't pay back how long before you get the deed?

And how do you find this and how do you buy them? I want to know everything lol. You got my attention

@Chris Frydenlund Each county will have an interest rate that will accrue with the certificate.  So yes you will get all the money you initially paid plus interest.  Again each county will have different time frames. I believe its generally 2-5 years.  However much better returns than a standard 401K.  I think your best bet would be to google cause the times can vary!  :) Hope that helps you somewhat!!! Are you strictly into wholesaling??   

Pre-foreclosure has never been with the intention of wholesaling but fix and flip.

Originally posted by @Chris Frydenlund :

Hi BP

If you have success with direct mail targeted pre-foreclosure, would you share the content of your letter with me?

You will have a hard time getting people to share good copy with you. Marketers don't like sharing that much intel. 

@Ashley Hernandez : Thanks for letting me know. Idk why they chanced it. Got it fixed.

@Pete Perez : I think you're right. I just thought it wouldn't hurt if we don't share the same market. But I guess then it's out there and will overall increase competition.

@Chris Grenier : Thanks for the link.

@Chris Frydenlund

I wouldn't look at it like that. Its just that the essence of marketing is to get your reader so enthralled in what you are saying to them, that they pick up the phone and buy whatever it is you are selling, or in our case sell us their ****** homes. Its not easy to do, and it isn't very well talked about on BP, I don't think. I've searched the topic and haven't found any forum thread where people share their message. 

Market, Message, Media. People share the 1st, and a little bit of the 3rd, but definitely not the 2nd. I am struggling through figuring out the 2nd at the moment lol. My message sucks, but I am working on it.  

@Pete Perez : Yea, I haven't been able to find much either. That's why I tried to give it a shot and ask.

You're probably way ahead of me, but for those who'll read this thread one day and don't have a clue about what to write here's what I've learned about marketing.

1. Get to the point: On social media you have 3 sec to get someone's attention. The same with letters. Before anything else let reader know why they received your letter, which is the purpose of the letter.

2. It's about them not you. Whenever possible replace 'you' with 'I' or 'we'. We only care about ourselves. We don't care about you. A rule of thumb: ask yourself after each sentence "what's in it for me?" That's what your reader thinks while reading through your letter.

3. Speak on their level. While 'property' may not seem like a word most people don't understand, using the word 'home' or 'house' depending on the situation to makes it easier to digest and is more familiar. Write in plain English.

4. Less is more. Once you're done writing, read through the letter and ask yourself what you can leave out without losing the point and still make sense.

5. Give them as multiple ways to contact you. If you just leave a number and they prefer email, you lost them, and if you only leave website, but your website is down, they spelled it wrong (especially if it's a long domain name) or they just prefer to call, then you lost them. Give them options. 3 is the magic number when it comes to choice.

5. EXTRA: No more than 3 lines per paragraph. A long paragraph can be demotivating to read, since it requires a lot of their time and effort to get to the point/essens.

@Chris Frydenlund

To go with #2: Offer the reading something that is valuable to them.  It sounds like your target market would love to read about relief from the debt burden and how quickly it can be achieved.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here