Skip to content
Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes
Michael Lee
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Votes |
What if there's an oil tank discovered after signed contract?

Michael Lee
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Posted Jul 12 2017, 09:41

Hey all,

If I waive inspection to stay competitive and gets the property under contract, but later finds out there’s an oil tank and/or contamination, would I be able to get out of the contract? If so, under what grounds? (This is in New Jersey)

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Ron S.#2 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
Votes |
  • Paradise, CA
Replied Jul 12 2017, 09:48

well...doesn't sound like you'll be able to back out on the inspection contingencies so, hopefully you gave yourself a backdoor with appraisal and/or financing contingencies otherwise, if you back out, i would guess maybe you lose your earnest money at best and get sued for performance at worse?

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Jul 12 2017, 09:51

Unless the owner knew it was there and failed to disclose it, and state/federal law require it be disclosed, I don't see how you'd have any real grounds. I've never waived inspection and have been plenty competitive. Inspection doesn't mean the seller is going to do anything about it, only that you have the right to bring your own people in to determine the true condition of the property and if it's not to your standards that you can walk based on inspection report/repairs. 

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Lee
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Lyndhurst, NJ
Replied Jul 12 2017, 10:28

Thanks for the input!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan W.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • West Orange, NJ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • West Orange, NJ
Replied Jul 14 2017, 07:59

@Michael Lee you could also carve out the oil tank specifically and waive other inspections.  I recently purchased a property in northern NJ and my accepted offer included oil tank and title contingencies only.  

User Stats

Votes
Jessica Zolotorofe
  • Attorney
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • New Jersey
Replied Jul 14 2017, 10:45

I agree with everyone. There's not really any way out unless, like people said above, there's a financing or appraisal contingency and the loan is contingent upon clean environmental or the removal of the tank. Is it an active tank? Abandoned? Properly registered and decommissioned? Did you do any testing to see if there was any leakage or contamination? If there's no contamination, depending on how much room you have in the deal, if you really like the property, you may want to factor in costs of removal and buy anyway.