How do you read Public Auction Foreclosure addresses (plat, lot, etc)?

How do you read Public Auction Foreclosure addresses (plat, lot, etc)?

Private Money Lender · OK · Member since 2010 · 163 posts · 32 votes

So I took a trip to the courthouse today to check out the foreclosure list. Much to my surprise I see the addresses are not your standard:

Billy D Williams
555 La Tosta
blah, BL 55555

They read like this:

Lot 19 Block 1 of the estates of Clear Creek Section 1 of subdivision of 310.141 acres of land located in the Lawrence Long Survey abstract #336 in the DM Goheen Survey abstract 234 in Montgomery, TX as imposed by the map and dedication recorded in Cabinet 1Sheet 40 of the map records of Montgomery County, TX

Needless to say I'm baffled by how to figure out the real addresses here. Could someone tell me how to decipher this code so I can find the treasure of One Eyed Willie please.

Thank you so much..

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
16y

That's a legal description. "Lot 19 Block 1 of the estates of Clear Creek Section 1 of subdivision of 310.141 acres of land located in..." designates this as a specific lot (Lot 19 Block 1) in a specific subdivision (Clear Creek Section 1 of subdivision of 310.141 acres of land located in...}. Texas, and some other states use a "survey" based way of designating land. Other status use sections. Sections are easier to understand. A section is a chunk of land about one mile by one mile. Not exactly one by one because the earth is curved. But roughly. They're grouped into six by six groups, and each one of the sections in the group gets a number. The group has two numbers "township" and "range". Township and range span across the entire country. A section is about 640 acres.

Some states, like TX, use a "survey" rather than sections. Long ago, someone started doing surveys and dividing up the land into pieces. In your particular example, that someone was "DM Goheen". They surveyed out some chunk and created abstract 234. Later, "Lawrence Long" surveyed inside the DM Goheen survey and created, amongst others, abstract 336. Some time later, someone carved "Clear Creek Section 1" out of abstract 336.

How do you translate into addresses? There's no direct translation. You have to find the "plat map". That map shows these various surveys. When you buy a property, it would be customary for you to get a map or maps showing where your lot was. If you really want to know exactly where the boundaries are, you pay a survey to mark them.

I owned a house south of Houston where the markers were still there. These were pipes driven into the corners of the lots. They had the lot lines scribed into a cap with the lot numbers.

Back in MO, you could track down a "plat book". That was a printed book, usually county by county, that had drawings of all the lots and the name of the owner. When I bought that property in TX, I somewhere tracked down similar maps. Been a long time, and predated the web. IIRC, I found them at the public library.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    16y

    That's a legal description. "Lot 19 Block 1 of the estates of Clear Creek Section 1 of subdivision of 310.141 acres of land located in..." designates this as a specific lot (Lot 19 Block 1) in a specific subdivision (Clear Creek Section 1 of subdivision of 310.141 acres of land located in...}. Texas, and some other states use a "survey" based way of designating land. Other status use sections. Sections are easier to understand. A section is a chunk of land about one mile by one mile. Not exactly one by one because the earth is curved. But roughly. They're grouped into six by six groups, and each one of the sections in the group gets a number. The group has two numbers "township" and "range". Township and range span across the entire country. A section is about 640 acres.

    Some states, like TX, use a "survey" rather than sections. Long ago, someone started doing surveys and dividing up the land into pieces. In your particular example, that someone was "DM Goheen". They surveyed out some chunk and created abstract 234. Later, "Lawrence Long" surveyed inside the DM Goheen survey and created, amongst others, abstract 336. Some time later, someone carved "Clear Creek Section 1" out of abstract 336.

    How do you translate into addresses? There's no direct translation. You have to find the "plat map". That map shows these various surveys. When you buy a property, it would be customary for you to get a map or maps showing where your lot was. If you really want to know exactly where the boundaries are, you pay a survey to mark them.

    I owned a house south of Houston where the markers were still there. These were pipes driven into the corners of the lots. They had the lot lines scribed into a cap with the lot numbers.

    Back in MO, you could track down a "plat book". That was a printed book, usually county by county, that had drawings of all the lots and the name of the owner. When I bought that property in TX, I somewhere tracked down similar maps. Been a long time, and predated the web. IIRC, I found them at the public library.

  • Private Money Lender · OK · Member since 2010 · 163 posts · 32 votes
    16y

    As always great response Jon and feedback. I appreciate the breakdown.

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Most large urban areas will have bidding services that bid for you at auction. They will provide you with a list and would have already translated the legal description to a postal address so you do not have to deal with that headache.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    16y

    Some counties have online GIS (geographical information systems) that will show a map and let you get to the lot information, or let you enter the legal and track down a map. In the Denver area, its highly variable. Some counties have almost nothing, some have really useful systems. Even the useful ones, though, are obtuse. But if you can puzzle out how they work, they're really useful.

    Try googling "montgomery county recorder" and maybe you'll find something useful.

  • Private Money Lender · OK · Member since 2010 · 163 posts · 32 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Jon Holdman:
    Some counties have online GIS (geographical information systems) that will show a map and let you get to the lot information, or let you enter the legal and track down a map. In the Denver area, its highly variable. Some counties have almost nothing, some have really useful systems. Even the useful ones, though, are obtuse. But if you can puzzle out how they work, they're really useful.

    Try googling "montgomery county recorder" and maybe you'll find something useful.


    Thanks Vikram.

    Jon, I tried the recordrs and their search system was junk lol. So here is what I did to best narrow it down. Though it wasn't completely accurate, it was a good starting point.

    What I did was google the subdivision name with Montgomery tx next to it.

    I also went to the white pages and searched the owners names with montgomery tx

    I then tried to find a street inside of said subdivision and google map the relatively few addresses I found under the persons white pages listing with the address of a street in the subdivision. The addresses shouldn't be far apart. I would say it's fairly close or at least a good starting point. It did not work with all of names, but a majority of them.

    I'm using the list of properties as a freebie to attract buyers list prospects. I put in enough work on the list it should go over fairly well after running my ad in the paper and other places.

    Thank you for your help.

    Michael

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    16y

    Was there a property ID in the listing? Try the recorder search, if there was:

    http://www.mcad-tx.org/html/records.html

    Your best bet may be to just call the appraisal district and ask for help:

    http://www.mcad-tx.org/index.html

  • Private Money Lender · OK · Member since 2010 · 163 posts · 32 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Jon Holdman:
    Was there a property ID in the listing? Try the recorder search, if there was:

    http://www.mcad-tx.org/html/records.html

    Your best bet may be to just call the appraisal district and ask for help:

    http://www.mcad-tx.org/index.html


    Actually, after playing around for a while with everything I could find I stumbled onto over 150+ of the auction properties with their real physical addresses between Harris/Montgomery. It wasn't easy because I had to look through newspapers and various sites but I did find it so now have a pretty nice little package of properties to bring to the table and put up a greensheet and Houston chronicle ad. I'm done with just getting these people's email address and then they don't respond. Now I only leave my phone number in my ads so they have to call and I can briefly introduce myself and get the information I need. I'd rather have 1 dependable and serious buyer then 20 unreliable ones. I told them in my ad I would be sending my buyers list the auction forclosures every month so I hope that stimulates some to make the call. Thanks for your help Jon.

    Warmest Regards,

    Michael

  • Member since 2010 · 156 posts · 65 votes
    16y

    The way I go about it in the county I live in in Texas is to get the owners name from the publication then plug it into the tax appraiser's website. This will pull up all addresses owned by that person and give physical address and legal description.

  • Private Money Lender · OK · Member since 2010 · 163 posts · 32 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Marcus C.:
    The way I go about it in the county I live in in Texas is to get the owners name from the publication then plug it into the tax appraiser's website. This will pull up all addresses owned by that person and give physical address and legal description.


    Didn't think of that. Also if you go to this link:

    http://www.co.montgomery.tx.us/tax/docs/ttguide.pdf

    and scroll down to the tax attorney links. they provided well over 100 listings just for the 2 counties I suggested, but had like every county in Texas. They also provided the real addresses as opposed to the legal addresses.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    16y

    Now you're catching on to what I mean when I say these systems are obtuse. With enough patience and persistence, you can find lots of information. Just hard to get to that point without tearing your hair out.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Jon Holdman:
    Now you're catching on to what I mean when I say these systems are obtuse. With enough patience and persistence, you can find lots of information. Just hard to get to that point without tearing your hair out.

    Jon,

    Are you blaming your appearance on this stuff here?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.