Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Rod Govea
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Pre Foreclosure - Paying off balance and acquire property

Rod Govea
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Posted Mar 9 2018, 15:26

Hello BP nation, looking at county assessor's office and properties that are scheduled to be foreclosed.

There is one in particular where the outstanding balance states roughly $35K.  I know the property is worth much more than that, so here are my questions:

1) Is the assessor's office required to show all existing liens or is it likely this balance just represents the 1st lien and others are existing? 

2) The county shows the attorney's office representing the lien holder (bank).  If I called them interested in paying off the balance in order to adquire, would they discuss that with me?

Please comment if you have experience in this arena and can provide insightful information.

Thanks in advance!

Rod

User Stats

Votes
Elizabeth Wilson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Mar 10 2018, 13:23

Hey @Rod Govea. Colorado might be different but in Tennessee the Register of Deeds records all of them. Ask around at your local REIA; I'm sure someone there would know for sure.

Neither the bank nor the attorney will discuss the loan with anyone other than the homeowner and anyone the homeowner designates.  Your first move has to be contacting the homeowner to see if they'd be willing to let you talk to the bank regarding this. Otherwise you just have to wait until auction date.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Mar 10 2018, 13:54

Rod Govea
They show the outstanding principal amount but that is not the total payoff. The unpaid principal balance is the amount interest accrues off of but then there will be legal fees, escrow advances, penalties etc that get tacked on.

As an example I have a note that has a UPB if $65k but total payoff is $140k.

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
Managing your property just got WAY cheaper and easier! Handle repairs, rent, listings, and more with the touch of a button - property manage like a pro!

User Stats

Votes
Bill S.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Denver, CO
ModeratorReplied Mar 10 2018, 19:22

@Rod Govea so there a few possible scenarios. Most likely is that the loan being foreclosed is in 2nd or 3rd position. A loan in 2nd position can foreclose and obtain title for the property subject to the loan in the 1st position.

Only title work can determine the order of liens. You can purchase what is known as O and E (ownership and encumbrances) from a title company. It's basically title light and it will give you an idea of lien situation. 

It's possible that the loan being foreclosed is in the first position. It's highly unlikely that it will make it to the sale. Those that specialize in the chasing foreclosures (and some that don't) will be knocking on the owner's door.  

The attorney for the bank in the foreclosure will not give you the time of day.

Reliant Real Estate, Inc. Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ron S.#3 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Paradise, CA
Votes |
  • Paradise, CA
Replied Mar 12 2018, 12:33

...and the only way you're going to get the total balances due are when they publish for sale. Even then, that balance is only a snapshot in time as there is daily per diem interest.

O&E only shows the recorded amounts, not the balances. There is NO source available to anyone for current balance information outside of the servicer and borrower (Even the trustee/attorney only knows the reported debt amount). You can read all day about lists that people subscribe to, to know what the balances are. Those are called credit reports (yes...being smart here) and if you have a credit report on a borrower, for a property you are interested in, you didn't obtain it legally. Not saying anyone here is doing that, I'm just saying that if anyone was, they would not be doing it legally.

User Stats

Votes
Rod Govea
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Mar 13 2018, 08:55

Thanks all, appreciate the input.