Buying a foreclosure that is considered not livable

7 Replies

We have a foreclosure that we want to buy but can not obtain finaince because house is considered unlivable...its from 2009.just was never finished....mis s ing a kitchen..going for 200k..estimated at 289k can put 140 down.

find out what the issue is ,could be simple as a kitchen faucet  not working .Might get to do a back room deal where you fix it then do the sale .

Originally posted by @Darren Cusanelli:
We have a foreclosure that we want to buy but can not obtain finaince because house is considered unlivable...its from 2009.just was never finished....mis s ing a kitchen..going for 200k..estimated at 289k can put 140 down.

Define "Foreclosure". Is it in active foreclosure proceedings? Or is it an REO? One is gonna require cash in most cases. The other (REO) may be financeable by hard money or a rehab loan.

Just a some thing to consider.

The plans are from 2009 and I am guessing it was started around then. Because it has never been given a CofO, you may have to take everything to existing code. I have no idea what has changed in your area but it could be as indepth as changing the distance between the rafters. 10 Years is a long time and because it was good then does not mean it is good now. Your locality could have passed some law that all basements are made out of moonrock and you now have to rip out the foundation and start from scratch. Since you never received a certificate of compliance you are really still a new build and if the new inspector found out something new you could end up on the hook. Also I would recommend looking for any Mechanics liens. If it was never finished there could very easily be some subs that did work, never got paid and put one on. If they renew as required in your area they could exist.

Good Luck!