Leverage Real Estate to Diversify Your Investment Portfolio

Leverage Real Estate to Diversify Your Investment Portfolio

Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 163 votes

As of this writing, the S&P 500 was down a little over 17% year to date, and in the same period, my passive investments have been kicking off 5-7% monthly distributions, one of my passive investments went full cycle in just 14 months producing 80% returns, and I sold my long-term rentals that produced about 20% returns annualized over the past 2-3 years.

Bottom line: I’m very glad that I invested heavily over the past 10+ years in the real estate space, and I believe that everyone should have at least a portion of their net worth in the hard, physical assets like real estate.

I’m not suggesting that everyone should have over 50% of their net worth tied up in real estate investments like my wife and I, but real estate investments can and should part of your diversification strategy to make sure 100% of your investments are not subject to the volatility of the stock market.

I’ve recently started tracking my investment allocations across the following categories: stock market in retirement accounts, personal residence real estate, passive real estate investments, cash and autos (anything with an engine – Yes, that’s a Dave Ramsey’ism). I regularly track those percentages much like I track the breakout of my stock market investments (Growth, Growth and Income, Aggressive, and International (Yes, that’s another Dave Ramsey’ism). Specifically, I have a strategy on how I want to invest my assets both in the stock market and in my real estate investments, and I readjust those amounts throughout the year.

Once you’ve decided on the percentage you want to allocate to real estate, you then must choose what type of asset class and what type of structure you’d like to place those funds. There are a ton of options here, but I’ve chosen to leverage the passive investing model where you can spread your funds across multiple asset classes, operators, geographies, and properties in increments as low as $5,000-$10,000. Specifically, my passive investments are currently distributed as follows: 66% single asset apartments, 5% apartment funds, 15% mobile home funds, 7% self-storage funds, and 7% ATM funds. My goal is to increase my exposure in non-apartment asset classes, but it’s hard to argue the results I’ve received in recent years in this space.

I realize many of the readers of this article are not investing in real estate outside of their personal residence yet, and the strategy I outlined above could be a little overwhelming. My suggestion is simply this, consider holding a portion of your net worth in real estate assets as an investment in addition to your personal residence. Once you’ve made that decision, pick someone that you know, like and trust that is working in this space, and they can help you navigate those first investment decisions. Before you know it, you’ll be smiling on the sidelines when the stock market roller coaster takes its next dive, and everyone will be wondering why your so calm, cool, and collected.

3Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Paul MoorePro Member
Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

Hi @Randy Smith! This is a wonderful post IMHO and I'm really surprised no one has commented on it. 

I completely agree. I've been a full time investor since I sold my company in the late 90s. Well, I actually I was a speculator for a long time and after losing money I am champion for investing versus speculating. I believe that investing is when your principal is generally on the safe side when you have a chance to make a return, while speculating is when your principal is not at all safe and you have a chance to make a return. I digress. 

I have migrated from investing in lots of things to mostly real estate over 20 years ago. I've migrated from residential real estate to all commercial real estate in the past decade. The goal of our fund is to do exactly what you said which is to provide diversification across recession resistant asset types as well as geographies, operators, etc. I really like your post and just wanted to thank you for it! 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Paul MoorePro Member
    Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hi @Randy Smith! This is a wonderful post IMHO and I'm really surprised no one has commented on it. 

    I completely agree. I've been a full time investor since I sold my company in the late 90s. Well, I actually I was a speculator for a long time and after losing money I am champion for investing versus speculating. I believe that investing is when your principal is generally on the safe side when you have a chance to make a return, while speculating is when your principal is not at all safe and you have a chance to make a return. I digress. 

    I have migrated from investing in lots of things to mostly real estate over 20 years ago. I've migrated from residential real estate to all commercial real estate in the past decade. The goal of our fund is to do exactly what you said which is to provide diversification across recession resistant asset types as well as geographies, operators, etc. I really like your post and just wanted to thank you for it! 

  • Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 163 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Paul Moore:

    Hi @Randy Smith! This is a wonderful post IMHO and I'm really surprised no one has commented on it. 

    I completely agree. I've been a full time investor since I sold my company in the late 90s. Well, I actually I was a speculator for a long time and after losing money I am champion for investing versus speculating. I believe that investing is when your principal is generally on the safe side when you have a chance to make a return, while speculating is when your principal is not at all safe and you have a chance to make a return. I digress. 

    I have migrated from investing in lots of things to mostly real estate over 20 years ago. I've migrated from residential real estate to all commercial real estate in the past decade. The goal of our fund is to do exactly what you said which is to provide diversification across recession resistant asset types as well as geographies, operators, etc. I really like your post and just wanted to thank you for it! 

     @Paul Moore.  Thanks for the note and for your comment about speculating versus investing.  I, too, was a speculator in my early years of investing, and I would like to think I have grown more towards investing as the years have passed.  I love the idea of a fund as well, and it's a great way for investors to spread their dollars across multiple assets and even markets.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Randy Smith:

    As of this writing, the S&P 500 was down a little over 17% year to date, and in the same period, my passive investments have been kicking off 5-7% monthly distributions, one of my passive investments went full cycle in just 14 months producing 80% returns, and I sold my long-term rentals that produced about 20% returns annualized over the past 2-3 years.

    Bottom line: I’m very glad that I invested heavily over the past 10+ years in the real estate space, and I believe that everyone should have at least a portion of their net worth in the hard, physical assets like real estate.

    I’m not suggesting that everyone should have over 50% of their net worth tied up in real estate investments like my wife and I, but real estate investments can and should part of your diversification strategy to make sure 100% of your investments are not subject to the volatility of the stock market.

    I’ve recently started tracking my investment allocations across the following categories: stock market in retirement accounts, personal residence real estate, passive real estate investments, cash and autos (anything with an engine – Yes, that’s a Dave Ramsey’ism). I regularly track those percentages much like I track the breakout of my stock market investments (Growth, Growth and Income, Aggressive, and International (Yes, that’s another Dave Ramsey’ism). Specifically, I have a strategy on how I want to invest my assets both in the stock market and in my real estate investments, and I readjust those amounts throughout the year.

    Once you’ve decided on the percentage you want to allocate to real estate, you then must choose what type of asset class and what type of structure you’d like to place those funds. There are a ton of options here, but I’ve chosen to leverage the passive investing model where you can spread your funds across multiple asset classes, operators, geographies, and properties in increments as low as $5,000-$10,000. Specifically, my passive investments are currently distributed as follows: 66% single asset apartments, 5% apartment funds, 15% mobile home funds, 7% self-storage funds, and 7% ATM funds. My goal is to increase my exposure in non-apartment asset classes, but it’s hard to argue the results I’ve received in recent years in this space.

    I realize many of the readers of this article are not investing in real estate outside of their personal residence yet, and the strategy I outlined above could be a little overwhelming. My suggestion is simply this, consider holding a portion of your net worth in real estate assets as an investment in addition to your personal residence. Once you’ve made that decision, pick someone that you know, like and trust that is working in this space, and they can help you navigate those first investment decisions. Before you know it, you’ll be smiling on the sidelines when the stock market roller coaster takes its next dive, and everyone will be wondering why your so calm, cool, and collected.


     Can you elaborate on ATM funds and what that entails?

  • Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 163 votes
    3y

    @Paul De Luca.  An ATM fund is a fund that purchases ATMs (Automated Teller Machines) and places them in large retail facilities across the country from preexisting contracts.  The cash flow is very high ($1070/month on $52,000 investment), deprecation is very fast even without accelerated depreciation, but there is no large upside on the backend of the investment because the asset is essentially plywood, a computer chip, and a cash dispenser.  The deal I invested in pays 24.7% annually for 7 years.

  • Paul MoorePro Member
    Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Randy Smith:
    Quote from @Paul Moore:

    Hi @Randy Smith! This is a wonderful post IMHO and I'm really surprised no one has commented on it. 

    I completely agree. I've been a full time investor since I sold my company in the late 90s. Well, I actually I was a speculator for a long time and after losing money I am champion for investing versus speculating. I believe that investing is when your principal is generally on the safe side when you have a chance to make a return, while speculating is when your principal is not at all safe and you have a chance to make a return. I digress. 

    I have migrated from investing in lots of things to mostly real estate over 20 years ago. I've migrated from residential real estate to all commercial real estate in the past decade. The goal of our fund is to do exactly what you said which is to provide diversification across recession resistant asset types as well as geographies, operators, etc. I really like your post and just wanted to thank you for it! 

     @Paul Moore.  Thanks for the note and for your comment about speculating versus investing.  I, too, was a speculator in my early years of investing, and I would like to think I have grown more towards investing as the years have passed.  I love the idea of a fund as well, and it's a great way for investors to spread their dollars across multiple assets and even markets.

     Hi @Randy Smith! Are you at all concerned about the potential for cash to be minimized in the United States in the years to come? I know that the ATM funds have a 7 year window and that's one of the things that made me nervous. Other than that they looked to be a great investment. 

  • Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 163 votes
    3y

    @Paul Moore. That's a really great point and one that I thought about quite a bit before moving forward with this investment.  My rational to move beyond this concern was that I thought a 20 year investment would definitely suggest some challenges for this market.  Since this is just a 7 year investment, I think we'll still be very dependent on our cash systems which rely heavily on these machines.  In addition, many of those in the underbanked sector will continue to have a strong dependance on these ATMs as government programs often use debit card to distribute the assistance proceeds. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.