How do I draft the financing portion in LOI as a wholesaler??

How do I draft the financing portion in LOI as a wholesaler??

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 61 posts · 2 votes

I'm talking to a motivated seller of a 22 Unit apartment complex. I know that if you're making a cash offer in the LOI, you have to explain how it's going to be financed. As the wholesaler who's not going to be buying the property, does this mean that I have to already have an end buyer lined up who knows how they will be financing the deal?

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 566 posts · 274 votes
12y

@Bradley White

If I was the owner I would definitely ask for proof of funds. They may or may not ask however you need to be ready and able to provide one if the question arises. I would ask for POF no matter if your offer was cash or with a financing contingency. A 22 unit complex is somewhat small to ask for a company resume however they might want to know your background and success with multi-family real estate. You wouldn't provide a pre-approval letter however you could have something similar provided by a local bank (if they actually will give you this).

You don't need to include an explanation of financing with a cash offer or a financed offer within your LOI (but probably a POF letter). Also you might want to go straight to the P&S and bypass the LOI with a 22 unit property.

I definitely don't want to discourage you however I always laugh (quietly) when I speak to a wholesaler that "specializes" in wholesaling multi-family complexes (not 4 and under). To be able to consistently wholesale a multi-family complex you need to be a well capitalized highly successful operator that understands wholesaling. Essentially a highly successful owner/broker. Best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y

    if you are making an all cash offer, then there is no financing. If your offer is for financing, than it will stipulate your cash down payment and what type of financing of plan on using. That should include your financing contingency (or you can choose to offer with a non contingent financing offer) along with the lender approval letter.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 61 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    @Will Barnard

    Thanks for the reply! I guess I'm a little confused because I was told that for properties over 10 units, you have to include an explanation with the cash offer in the LOI because investors normally don't pay all cash for properties over 10 units. It normally comes with some sort of financing. Is this true?

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 566 posts · 274 votes
    12y

    @Bradley White

    If I was the owner I would definitely ask for proof of funds. They may or may not ask however you need to be ready and able to provide one if the question arises. I would ask for POF no matter if your offer was cash or with a financing contingency. A 22 unit complex is somewhat small to ask for a company resume however they might want to know your background and success with multi-family real estate. You wouldn't provide a pre-approval letter however you could have something similar provided by a local bank (if they actually will give you this).

    You don't need to include an explanation of financing with a cash offer or a financed offer within your LOI (but probably a POF letter). Also you might want to go straight to the P&S and bypass the LOI with a 22 unit property.

    I definitely don't want to discourage you however I always laugh (quietly) when I speak to a wholesaler that "specializes" in wholesaling multi-family complexes (not 4 and under). To be able to consistently wholesale a multi-family complex you need to be a well capitalized highly successful operator that understands wholesaling. Essentially a highly successful owner/broker. Best of luck!

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Bradley White:
    @Will Barnard

    Thanks for the reply! I guess I'm a little confused because I was told that for properties over 10 units, you have to include an explanation with the cash offer in the LOI because investors normally don't pay all cash for properties over 10 units. It normally comes with some sort of financing. Is this true?

    Pay close attention to the terms you use and how you use them. This will help in your communication skills with other RE investors as well as sellers/owners. You say cash offer but then assume that investors don't pay all cash for 10+ units. Not only is that not true, but you are mixing up terms. If you or your buyer is going to use any type of financing, then it is NOT an all cash offer, but an offer with financing. Regardless if it is cash or financing, any money you will put down will likely require a proof of funds to the seller.

    In the LOI, you don't have to include that, but be prepared to proof up once you have the terms nailed down and seller is ready to go forward to a purchase and sales agreement.

    There are investors and hedge funds that come in with all cash for 200+ unit buildings so don't think all cash does not happen on large units. Regardless, whichever you will be doing, then your offer needs to stipulate that. You can't send an all cash offer in the LOI and then go to financing in the purchase agreement without running into problems with the seller.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.