Are Section 8 tenants are MUCH harder to evict compared to normal tenants?

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y

I've recently started an eviction on a S8 tenant of mine in Detroit.

The process will be identical to a normal, cash paying tenant with one big exception.

The housing authority will continue to pay the voucher amount during the eviction process. 

That's a big win for me because, generally, when you're evicting, the tenant stopped paying rent. So I'm happy I continue to collect rent for the 3-4 months that it will take me to evict.

Obviously, I'd be much happier if the tenant wasn't trashing the house and I didn't have to kick her and her 5 kids out. 

But it's been a lucrative 5 years. Ask me how lucrative it will be after this turnover though lol

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I've recently started an eviction on a S8 tenant of mine in Detroit.

    The process will be identical to a normal, cash paying tenant with one big exception.

    The housing authority will continue to pay the voucher amount during the eviction process. 

    That's a big win for me because, generally, when you're evicting, the tenant stopped paying rent. So I'm happy I continue to collect rent for the 3-4 months that it will take me to evict.

    Obviously, I'd be much happier if the tenant wasn't trashing the house and I didn't have to kick her and her 5 kids out. 

    But it's been a lucrative 5 years. Ask me how lucrative it will be after this turnover though lol

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    2y

    @James McGovern we've evicted both and there's not really any difference.

    @Travis Biziorek payment continuity really depend on the Housing Commission and caseworker. We've had several that abate the rent as soon as they find out an eviction is being pursued.

  • Meriden, CT · Member since 2018 · 702 posts · 501 votes
    2y

    @James McGovern - There are differences in CT.  In some circumstances the NTQ goes from 5 days to 30 days (things like lapse of time evictions).

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Drew Sygit:

    @James McGovern we've evicted both and there's not really any difference.

    @Travis Biziorek payment continuity really depend on the Housing Commission and caseworker. We've had several that abate the rent as soon as they find out an eviction is being pursued.


    Interesting. We called and confirmed they'd continue to pay throughout, so I guess we're lucky there!

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y

    There's no difference.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James McGovern:

    If so, why? 


     NO, it's the same process, But why would you? 

  • Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 30 votes
    2y

    @James McGovern

    It's important to understand state laws, but the process is generally the same.
    In my experience, Section 8 tenants usually pay on time because they know that getting evicted would make it difficult for them to find another property to rent.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James McGovern:

    If so, why? 


     No, so long as you don't accept partial rent, it's same process.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.