Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Chaney
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Washington, Washington D.C.
Votes |
Did my RE attorney screw me on this deal?

Jacob Chaney
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Washington, Washington D.C.
Posted Jun 6 2014, 12:05

I had a 6 unit apartment building under contract in Washington, DC that requires that tenants be given the first right to purchase (referred to locally as TOPA).

The seller contacted me 3 weeks prior to close and said that he still had two tenants that had signed statements to vacate but were still residing in the property. He was concerned that merely having a signed purchase contract without offering them the right to purchase would put him in violation of the law and open him to civil/criminal penalties. He suggested I release him from the contract and then once they moved out on the agreed upon date and the property was 100% vacant we would sign another contract. This sounded reasonable and I asked my RE attorney to draw up a release.

Once the tenants moved out and the time to re-sign the PA came around the seller informs me "I'm sorry, I have another for $250k more, all cash". I found out later that this purchase was made by my competitor.

Should my attorney have placed language in the release in order to protect me from something like this happening? I thought that's what I was paying him for. I hired him to look out for my interest.

I have no desire to take any legal action but now this same attorney is claiming that I still owe them $1800 in fees from this deal I believe they had a hand in sinking.

Advice? Thoughts?

Loading replies...