• Newhall, CA
Votes |
VA Home Loan Los Angeles

Ty MacArthur
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Newhall, CA
Posted Jun 25 2016, 09:03

Hey BP,

I live in LA, I own 1 4-plex now using conventional financing. I'm hoping to utilize my VA Loan to purchase another 4-plex owner occupied. I was told by my mortgage broker that when he was talking to the VA underwriter they would not let me use any rental income w/o a 2 year history of being a landlord and confirming rental income on my tax returns. Has anyone worked with knowledgeable VA lenders and purchased 2-4 with VA financing in the LA area? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Best,

TM

User Stats

Votes
Ty MacArthur
  • Newhall, CA
Votes |
  • Newhall, CA
Replied Jun 25 2016, 09:30

Thanks @Albert Bui, it's tough out here in LA with prices where they are. Is ~685k still the max loan amount for LA county? I thought I saw 4-units can go higher in LA County. Where do you suggest I go from here?

User Stats

Votes
Jared Rine
Lender
  • Lender
  • Sacramento, CA
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Sacramento, CA
Replied Jul 8 2016, 16:32

@Ty MacArthur..I'm a little late to this,... It's somewhat convoluted and I might be up for a debate b/c it's subjective on u/w and guidelines, but I think you can do this, it's just finding the right VA lender. I'm up in Northern CA, but I do a good amount of VA loans. VA Loan limit for 4 Unit in LA is the same for what the FHFA rules, per their spreadsheet:

06037 LOS ANGELES CA 31080  $625,500  $800,775  $967,950  $1,202,925 

I think Albert's post was removed.  I know he's very knowledgeable.  What did he say?

Hope that helps. 

Thanks,

Jared

• Lender California (#01915324) and California (#893462)

United Lending Partners Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Joaquin K.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dana Point, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dana Point, CA
Replied Sep 17 2016, 22:51

When did you purchase your existing 4plex?  Are you currently living in one of the units?