Good apartment investing book about financing

17 Replies

Struggling to find a quality book about apartment financing that is relevant to today's market. Everything I have found is dated. Anyone have suggestions?

Hi @Al Beahn - 3 books I read in the past 6 months that were pretty good:

Wheelbarrow Profits by Jake Stenziano and Gino Barbaro

Winning with Commercial Real Estate by Harmel S. Rayat - it's a little self congratulatory and he started with a lot of money but still an interesting read.

Best Real Estate Investing Advice by Joe Fairless

But you can also find a lot of good info in the forums here on BP or post some of your questions and get a thread going.  If you can get more specific as to what part of apartment financing you have questions about the more help you'll get.

Thanks @Salvatore Lentini . Hoping not to go the institutional approach due to the 60-70 LTV or LTC. I only have a few hundredK to invest and I want to leverage it more than that. Unless that is the only route, maybe looking to some Junior financing for down payments etc. or tips on raising. Been flipping houses for years liquidating some rentals to get into multifamily. Not sure if there are any reliable directories for lenders.

@al 

@Al Beahn

I'd recommend books by Ken McElroy and David Lindahl. You should be able to leverage to at least 80% and the best rate/terms are on the bigger loans with Fannie/Freddie/HUD.

If you have a deal use an experienced loan broker and ask for recommendations.

Trump University Commercial Real Estate 101:
How Small Investors Can Get Started and Make it Big.

Step 1.  Have dad give you millions of dollars.  Step 2. Inherit all of dad's properties.  Step 3. Leverage those properties and the Trump name.

All the Trump fans out there... take it easy.  I don't like either candidate.

I agree with @Joseph Gozlan with the podcasts. 

I will listen to podcast 170 with @Andrew Cushman and podcast 135 with @Brian Adams

Good information in there. 

Thanks guys! Thinking about taking the CCIM class as well. Seems to be very highly recommended. 

@Al Beahn the CCIM will get you through the grinder and is probably one of the best education you can get for commercial real estate. 

One thing to keep in mind though: it's not A class. It's a SERIES of classes which takes a while to complete and the overall costs is about $15,000 - $20,000

You can also listen to The Lifetime Cashflow through Real Estate Podcast. Rod brings in very interesting guests and he is also working on a book about multifamily investing (not public yet) and he promised it to the listeners for a preview (I registered and hope to get it as well). 

Note: No, I have no connection to Rod, I'm just an appreciating listener.

Another really good podcast about multifamily financing is the Old capital podcast. They are a Texas based commercial broker. No connection to them either although I do know some of their brokers. 

@Al Beahn  I second, “Wheelbarrow Profits” by Jake Stenziano and Gino Barbaro. I also just read, “How to Make Big Money in Small Apartments.”

Up next, I'm going to check out Ray Alcorn's Dealmakers Guide.

Hope that helps.

@Joseph Gozlan Sorry for calling it a class. For lack of a better word that is why I used it. I actually have been following that lifetime podcast already. Pretty good stuff on there. I will check out the other one you mentioned.I appreciate the insight.

@Johanna R. Ordered the Wheelbarrow profits last night. Coincidentally I am also reading " How to make big money in Small apartments". I have been a full time SFR Wholesaler for almost 10 years. Sick of the rat race and that one is really appealing to me right now. I am just getting into it, but from what I have read so far, pretty excited. Thanks!

Originally posted by @Al Beahn :

@Joseph Gozlan Sorry for calling it a class. For lack of a better word that is why I used it. I actually have been following that lifetime podcast already. Pretty good stuff on there. I will check out the other one you mentioned.I appreciate the insight.

No need to apologize :-)

I just wanted to make sure you are aware of the order of magnitude the CCIM path demands. 

@Al Beahn Yah, I'm so with you, I'm more than ready to get out of corporate America. 

I really like all of the Jake and Ginos products, and though I got a lot from the, " How to make big money in Small apartments" book his classes and other products don't get such great reviews. 

@Joseph Gozlan yea it sounds like high demand, which is what I like. If it was some $1,000 program I would have a hard time taking it serious and putting in the time. It is what separates the men from the boys. Pretty excited about it. 

@Al Beahn

Hey Al how is it going. I too agree with @Joseph Gozlan about the BP podcast but also listen to Kevin Bupp and Old Capital podcasts. I don't know if you have this book by Gene Trowbridge Its A whole New Business ( Book of syndicated investment real estate) and Frank Gallinelli ( What every Real Estate investor Needs To Know About Cah Flow)

See You At The Top

Originally posted by @Lawrence L. :

@Al Beahn

Hey Al how is it going. I too agree with @Joseph Gozlan about the BP podcast but also listen to Kevin Bupp and Old Capital podcasts. I don't know if you have this book by Gene Trowbridge Its A whole New Business ( Book of syndicated investment real estate) and Frank Gallinelli ( What every Real Estate investor Needs To Know About Cah Flow)

See You At The Top

+1 for Kevin Bupp's podcast. I just fast forward on the first 8-10 min. until he gets to the actual interview.

Originally posted by @Salvatore Lentini :

Trump University Commercial Real Estate 101:
How Small Investors Can Get Started and Make it Big.

Like him or not, this was HILARIOUS! 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.