Anybody know what multi-family cap rate is in Minneapolis, MN?

5 Replies

Anybody know what the multi-family cap rate is in Minneapolis?

Short answer is that it can vary widely depending on the neighborhood, number of units, ect... I have been studying the Twin Cities multi-family market since the start of this year and there is still way too much to learn because the Twin Cities has a lot of diverse areas. That is part of the fun of the Twin Cities.

I'm currently looking at a 4plex and a 5 unit apartment. Cap rates on those are 4-8% and I think the selling price will be somewhere between 50-70k per unit. I might be more conservative than most though when calculating cap rates.

How are things in MI?

Thanks for the info.

I'm in the Detroit area and multi-family buildings, 35-45 years old, in a C area, 20-30 units cap rate is in the low 8s.  That's what brokers/appraisers told me recently.

I'm looking outside the area to purchase in a good stable market with decent returns/cap rates.

I'm looking at up to 100 units, B-C area, in Minneapolis.  Are there 8% cap buildings there, ya think?

Todd,

In the MN market I have seen a lot of lower cap rates due to the huge growth in multi family. I office right in the area you are looking and think you can get higher cap rates in that area since it falls into a B- location vs. the low 1-3 cap rates you are seeing in class A in A locations. I think 8% is very likely, I can explain in more detail if you want to reach out. With class C properties in Brooklyn Center and Brooklyn Park market in MN we have usually averaged an increase of 10-15% ROI after doing cosmetic renovation work and simply raising rents.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here