Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Robert Freeborn
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Bellingham, WA
Votes |
This isn't a joke listing!

Robert Freeborn
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Bellingham, WA
Posted Sep 28 2017, 12:06

Hi BP Fam! 

I have a mls drip feed from a great realtor in the WA state area. I got a email yesterday for a 3-plex in Bellingham Washington. I'm going to list out the details below. I will NOT include identifying details (you can pm me if you want them.). What I'd like help with is this: am I totally off base, or is this so overpriced its beyond ridiculous? Or am I just so green that I don't see the deal. Here's the info from the MLS:

Listing Remarks: INVESTOR ALERT: Excellent University Investment Property! Triplex with 1 large 6 Bedroom, 2 Bath Unit with new kitchen, Fir cabinets and Fir floors throughout. Bay views & window seats give this home old charm & character. Also 2 - 1 Bedroom, 1 Bath Units - Always Rented!!! Parking in rear for 5 cars. Shared Coin-op Laundry Room.

3512 SF.

Built 1904

Lot 6969 SF

Gross Adjusted Income: 70,860

Net Operating Income: 54,860

Water/Sewer/Garbage: 0

Total Expenses: 16000

Gross Rent Multiplier: 14%

Cap Rate 5.7%

Additional Monthly Income: 300

Unit 1: 6 beds, 2 bath. Rent: 3785

Unit 2: 1 bed, 1 bath. Rent: 900

Unit 3: 1 bed, 1 bath. Rent 920

Asking Price: $970,000

50% rule means 2802 for expenses. If we assume you finance it for 30 years at 4.2% with 250k down, your debt service is 3520. Add it the 50% rule and you're at 6322.5 in expenses per month, or -$720 cash flow a month. 

If you buy it all cash, you would cash flow, but I can't fathom why someone would pay cash for this property when they could use that to leverage a much, much larger multi that has much better cash flow.

So, back to my original question: Are the owners crazy?  Or am I crazy and just don't see the deal here?

I look forward to learning from your wisdom and insights.

Loading replies...