Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Kaneem Curvey
  • Investor
  • Douglasville, GA
Votes |
Should you have a PPM on a multifamily that is less than 150k?

Kaneem Curvey
  • Investor
  • Douglasville, GA
Posted Oct 11 2017, 06:50

Hello BP, I have a deal for a 125k. Multifamily 5 unit building. Well kept property. Below market price. I have investors but not sure on how to structure the deal. Would like advice on how to "CYA" all that are involved with this deal. Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Gozlan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Plano, TX
Replied Oct 11 2017, 14:01

PPMs are not limited to a minimal investment amount. 

If you raise from a "friends and family" investors and you have 20-30 of those I'd say you should probably talk to a securities lawyer for CYA.

If you only take 2-3 partners, and they don't mind being GPs then you can just form a partnership to buy the property. keep it simple.

User Stats

Votes
Kaneem Curvey
  • Investor
  • Douglasville, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Douglasville, GA
Replied Oct 12 2017, 07:14

If we form a partnership as a group of (5) GP's can I still request the acquisition fee for finding the deal. What about the asset managing fee for day to day operations? Should this be a 5 way split if the investments are equal and I have some "skin in the game". Or can I do 30/70 giving them a preferred return of 8% not having any money in the deal. Your thoughts please.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Krone
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Northbrook, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Northbrook, IL
Replied Oct 12 2017, 07:19

@Joseph Gozlan is correct.  You can do a PPM for any amount of money.  When structuring them, I would recommend first finding out what your potential investors are seeking in an investment.  Your product is competing in the market place against other investments.  So, if they tell you they expect a preferred returned, then determine what amount they seek.  Work the numbers backwards.  With regard to fees, if they are normal fees that you would have to pay someone to do the work, then build them into the costs.  On our self storage deals, we always begin with the premise of creating over 20% return - because over time this is the most common response we have been given.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Gozlan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Plano, TX
Replied Oct 12 2017, 08:19
Originally posted by @Scott Krone:

@Joseph Gozlan is correct.  You can do a PPM for any amount of money.  When structuring them, I would recommend first finding out what your potential investors are seeking in an investment.  Your product is competing in the market place against other investments.  So, if they tell you they expect a preferred returned, then determine what amount they seek.  Work the numbers backwards.  With regard to fees, if they are normal fees that you would have to pay someone to do the work, then build them into the costs.  On our self storage deals, we always begin with the premise of creating over 20% return - because over time this is the most common response we have been given.

Scott,

20% COC or IRR? Huge difference :-)

To the OP,  one other thing to consider is the costs involved with setting up the securities legal structures. Between legal fees and state fees, it can be very expensive... 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Krone
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Northbrook, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Northbrook, IL
Replied Oct 12 2017, 11:42

@Joseph Gozlan 20% IRR or more. However the project must also have a valuation of 70% cost to value.

User Stats

Votes
Kaneem Curvey
  • Investor
  • Douglasville, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Douglasville, GA
Replied Oct 12 2017, 15:12
Thanks guys. you both gave me something to think about.

User Stats

Votes
Jillian Sidoti
  • Professional
  • Murrieta, CA
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Murrieta, CA
Replied Oct 13 2017, 14:53

I would speak to @Amy Wan - I don't know why I can't tag her here. She has a product that assists with syndications of smaller deals. Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Kaneem Curvey
  • Investor
  • Douglasville, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Douglasville, GA
Replied Oct 13 2017, 15:40

Thanks Jillian