Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Shadana Chaney
Votes |
I'm interested in building a duplex home in Houston, any advice?

Shadana Chaney
Posted Sep 3 2018, 14:36

Hello I would like to build my first home as a duplex in Houston, TX. Its been a bit difficult to find builders because multi-family duplex homes are not extremely popular in Houston. Any advice on where and how I should get started?

User Stats

Votes
Amanda G.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Augusta, GA
Votes |
  • Augusta, GA
Replied Sep 5 2018, 09:57

Talk with your local real estate investment group. Also, if this is a rare thing where you are, ask them why and what they do instead. They might have a different path to your goal.

User Stats

Votes
Shadana Chaney
Votes |
Replied Sep 5 2018, 10:25

Thank you Amanda for your advice, I will do just that. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dang
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Houston, TX
Replied Sep 6 2018, 08:41

Have you considered instead of building, converting or building out an existing structure?  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 28 2023, 17:17

I'm currently in the process of building a duplex in the Houston area (North). I have a builder I work with personally and will be working along side with me on this project. We have done a couple of new builds as well. We work with a reputable Architect for our plans and do a key turn for others as well. Please feel free to reach out if you need a builder or just need some questions answered. Thanks. 

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Ware
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 29 2023, 10:36

Hi Shadana, 

Are you looking to househack the property or rent out both units? If you want to purchase a househack, there are many different paths you can take outside just a duplex. I find that there are more duplexes in Houston than a lot of cities. I recommend talking with an investor-friendly real estate agent to help you find properties.