How do I find a mentor in my area

5 Replies

How do I go about finding a mentor in the apartment complex business? I got a good work ethic, and am very eager to learn the business. I just don’t know where to begin. Any ideas? I’m in the Cleveland area.

Here is what I did:

1. Find an apartment investor/syndicator on BP, through podcasts, at local meetup groups, etc.

2. Learn about their business and try to identify a "need" that they may have

3. Proactively fulfill that need for FREE

4. Reach out with the solution to their need. Then, and only then, ask if there is anything you can help them out with in their business

5. Work for them for FREE for a few months before asking them questions about their business (although you will likely learn a lot during those few months)

@Theo Hicks what kind of work could I do? I would only be able to help them a couple hours a week I already work two jobs lol. I work at a steel mill and a beverage store. My hours are very limited what kind of need could they want from me? Also thanks for the reply

Jason. I worked 40 hour plus weeks when I started working for an apartment syndicator for free. I performed my duties during any spare moment I could find morning, day, and night. 

In regard to how you can add value, it depends on what you are willing and able to do. You can find deals, help them do on the ground due diligence on properties, help them with their brand, etc. Just limited by your hustle and creativity.

Of course, the other option is to just pay someone to be your mentor. I just wanted to offer a creative way to gain experience for free!

@Jason Barnes I second what @Theo Hicks suggested to you. You have to think creatively in terms of what type of skills you have and what are the needs/pain points of a MFH investor/syndicator. If there's a match in terms of what they need versus what you can offer, then it is up to you to find the time to fulfill it. 

The alternative is to pay for education. Or do you it slowly yourself by reading books, listening to podcast and networking with local RE investors.

Best of luck!