House Hack/Live in Flip as First Time Home Buyer - Advice/Tips?

House Hack/Live in Flip as First Time Home Buyer - Advice/Tips?

Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 4 votes

Hello All,

My wife and I have been actively working with our agent to find a small MF property (<4 doors) to live in as first time home buyers in Austin, TX. We came across a potential value add duplex (built in mid-70s, and outdated) and I am looking for tips/advice/recommendations for this potential opportunity. Heres the details...

- Side A (2/1) is unoccupied and in need of significant updating, including completely redone kitchen, bath, bedrooms, new windows, doors, flooring, remove popcorn ceiling, etc in order to bring to date/be live-able by my wife's standards. 

- Side B (3/1) rents currently at $1k/mo (lease ends in March), which is $200-$300 below market rent for the area. B is in nicer condition, not much needed in kitchen, but needs updated bedrooms, bath, remove popcorn ceiling, etc. 

- Roof is 16 years old, HVAC looks to be old as well (pre-inspection). 

* List Price: ~$335k (~$162/sqft, average price in area for outdated duplexes, per comps)

* Class 5 Remodel Estimate: ~$40k (We will be doing most of the work, with the exception of a few things to be hired out)

* Current Sales Price of Remodeled Duplexes in Area: ~$205/sqft (potential sales price of ~$423k, without including appreciation)

I plan to sell the remodeled duplex 1-2 years later, potentially making a small profit, and living with a reduced mortgage payment. This would essentially be a live in flip/house hack. Also, my wife will be an agent by then, and would be the listing agent for the property. 

My Question(s): Would pursuing the above make sense financially for us? What am I missing here? Is this a go/no-go for a first time home buyers? 

Thanks for the advice!

1Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Front Royal, VA · Member since 2013 · 586 posts · 418 votes
7y

@Michael Mayes I don't know Austin's market well so I can't tell you if it's a good deal, but if you've put in the effort and learned what makes a good rental and what doesn't, just jump on it. House-hacking was a great way to start my investing career and I learned a lot. 

Obviously, the mechanicals and roof need to be replaced, that should be in your negotiations. Also, make sure you and your wife are both prepared to live in a construction zone - it's tough on marriages sometimes. It's fun to make things nice, but there's an interim for a while where it's tough to live in. Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Front Royal, VA · Member since 2013 · 586 posts · 418 votes
    7y

    @Michael Mayes I don't know Austin's market well so I can't tell you if it's a good deal, but if you've put in the effort and learned what makes a good rental and what doesn't, just jump on it. House-hacking was a great way to start my investing career and I learned a lot. 

    Obviously, the mechanicals and roof need to be replaced, that should be in your negotiations. Also, make sure you and your wife are both prepared to live in a construction zone - it's tough on marriages sometimes. It's fun to make things nice, but there's an interim for a while where it's tough to live in. Good luck!

  • Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the advice! I agree - it seems like a great way to get started investing being newer and I’m eager to learn. 

    @Luke Miller

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Michael Mayes I did what you're talking about doing, made $130,000 and bought 12 more units. I'm a huge fan of the house hack that you can add value to. I just bought a SFH W/ADU in East Austin, did a large rehab and potentially added $100k in equity to the place

  • Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Moorhead that is awesome. How extensive was the remodel on the house back? HVAC, roof, kitchen gut, bath, etc or mainly cosmetic stuff? And how long did you live in before selling to capture the equity? 

    Thanks! 

  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    House hacking is a fantastic way to get started because you are killing two birds with one stone. You have to live somewhere and this will greatly reduce your primary living expenses, plus create a current and future investment property with a conventional loan. As long as the investment screening meets your goals, what's not to love? Congrats and keep us all posted with your decision!

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Michael Mayes I had planned on holding long term as a rental so rented the whole thing out, I did a 1031 when I came across an opportunity I couldn't pass up. I didn't do much more than kitchen and bath, just got lucky with timing and buying in a desirable area

  • Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Kelly agreed! I love the idea of someone else helping pay the mortgage - especially in a more expensive market here in Austin. 

    @Jordan Moorhead got it. Congrats on that one sounds great and appreciate you sharing your experience. 

  • Real Estate Appraiser · Isabella lake, CA · Member since 2018 · 628 posts · 491 votes
    7y

    For me it seems every diy project takes 2 or 3 times as long as I first guesstimate. Maybe you will be better at estimating, or more efficient with the work.

  • Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Lee Bell good point. Usually always takes longer than expected. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 834 posts · 449 votes
    7y

    I would need more info on the project but assume you will blow your budget and count on vacancies/make ready costs using a worse case scenario. If all the numbers still work safely you may have a winner.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    Hi Michael,

    Some other things to consider:

    - Will you be comfortable (enough) living in that location?  The other side of the house hack, in my opinion, is that you actually have to live there!

    - What is your "reduced" monthly mortgage payment (after collecting rents), and how might that compare vs., say, a less expensive single family?  Are you prepared for that monthly cost?  Obviously the "live for free" house hack doesn't really exist in austin

  • Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Scott Fehrenkamp

    - Location is good. Relatively central to both mine and wife's work, although I do work from home frequently.

    - We plan to live in the 2/1 side, and rent out the 3/1 side. The current tenants in the 3/1 pay $1k/mo, which is well below market. I think we could get $1200-$1300/mo. This would put my mortgage amount at ~$1100/mo. This wouldn't include repairs and maintenance, but it seems to me that it would be hard to find a livable home in Austin area with an  $1100 mortgage.

    Thoughts?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 26 votes
    7y

    Sounds good to me!

    Long as you've considered all the angles and it fits your goals, I'd say go for it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.