Mark Reit
  • Spring Valley, NY
Votes |
Sprinklers requirement in 2 family

Mark Reit
  • Spring Valley, NY
Posted Mar 27 2019, 07:18

Good morning,

We are updating a 2 family in Sloatsburg,  NY and we are dealing with a very difficult building inspector who is changing what he says every day.

Originally, he said that a cellar (3rd floor) which we are converting into a room, would not require us to install sprinklers, but in the middle of renovations he says we do. He also told us many other misleading statements along the way.

To be clear, that cellar is big and tall, it was unfinished and we are finishing it, fully habitable. When we asked for the article which requires sprinklers, he said, we have to sue the village and then they will provide it. I can't find it online, and I don't want to sue anyone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Jaysen Medhurst
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Greenwich, CT
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Greenwich, CT
Replied Mar 27 2019, 08:23

@Mark Reit, call the building department and ask which version of the International Building Code (IBC) they use. It's probably 5-10 years old as most towns/states defer adopting new versions right away so contractors/inspectors/developers have time to adapt. Then look up the actual code on your own. You might have to go to the library and look through the actual code book.

Your plans have already been approved by the building department, right? 

Once you confirm that the code does not require sprinklers, go to the head of the building department and report the inspector. Demand that a new inspector be assigned to your project, if you get any push back escalate to the mayor's office, the head of the Planning & Zoning commission, and notify the town attorney that the inspector has been giving you inaccurate (false) information. Make a fuss and make it discoverable, meaning a paper trail.

I know this may sound like a lot, but you have a right to be treated fairly and consistently.

Lastly, be prepared for what happens if you're wrong and the code does require sprinklers.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Reit
  • Spring Valley, NY
Votes |
  • Spring Valley, NY
Replied Mar 27 2019, 09:28

Thanks for your answer. It is a small village, and I'm not sure if there is another inspector. The contractor I'm working with is trying to get email correspondence, but the inspector keeps on calling back rather than emailing.

But thanks for the suggestion, I will try to ask inspector which version they use.

Also, you are right, I think he approved plans already, although I don't know if they gave contractor a paper about it.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Charley C.
  • North of Houston
Votes |
  • North of Houston
Replied Mar 27 2019, 12:35

@Mark Reit typically NO you don't need sprinklers every 2 units. It would be some city ordinance if you did. 

I build apartment complexes, I separate every 2 units with a UL 2 hour wall. So even buildings with 8 units have no sprinklers. If that helps? 

I recommend read the ordinances plus any recent updated revisions, it can be daunting. And be friends with the inspector. Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Charley C.
  • North of Houston
Votes |
  • North of Houston
Replied Mar 27 2019, 12:40

oh and I might add, if the city advises you with the wrong information and you got the perfect paper trail on how they really directly you in to wasting your money.. You are just as screwed if you had no paper trail at all. The people at the city act as if they have immunity, even when they are wrong, they don't have to pay the piper or cut you slack..  All you can do is get somebody in trouble but your scenario will be unchanged. That's why I say read the ordinances