Should I buy my rental (duplex)?

Should I buy my rental (duplex)?

Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote

Hello all--new to the real estate thing. My landlord is selling my duplex, which I currently rent one unit in. It's walking distance to a major university, walking distance to downtown, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's etc. I've loved living here and they've done a ton of work to bring it up to snuff (including replacing most of the foundation). I've been looking for a single-family home in the $250,000 range ($1750 monthly payment including all utilities, savings for maintenance, etc), which is the max I can afford as one person.  My landlord wants to sell the duplex for $380,000 ($2669 monthly payment). I estimate that If I rent the other side for $1500/mo, I can get my monthly payments to roughly the equivalent of my current rent ($1169). But do I take the risk? As a first-time buyer, what am I missing/not considering that would change my mind one way or another? 

Thanks all! I'm so glad I found this place! 

0Reply
177 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 662 posts · 1k+ votes
7y

It would be helpful to know the location of your duplex.  It would help in understanding the risk.  The number 1 risk to any rental property is the inability to find a qualified tenant.  If your duplex is located in Texas then that risk is minimized and I feel good about your purchase.  

Buying your first property or first investment property will most likely be the hardest thing you will do. That being said, buying a duplex will have less financial risk than a single-family home (SFH). Consider comparing both as you have rudimentarily done so far. If you buy the SFH you have to come up with $1760 each month. If you get into a financial bind and cannot come up with the mortgage payments, your options are to try and sell the home or rent it out for its payments. With no income coming in on a SFH, pressure builds quickly. Selling in a down market might cause you to actually lose your home altogether. Instead, you buy the duplex, your monthly nut is now $2669 but your rent from one side is $1500. Your nut each month is not what your SFH ($1760) is but a mere $1169. Thus saving $591 each month or 7092 a year! Yeah, you might have some vacancy and additional maintenance that your single-family won't necessarily experience, but if you're in a strong demand location (like Texas) then it is not a problem. In Austin, (where I live) I strive for a one-day turnover because demand has been so strong. I've been landlording since 2003 and the longest I have gone vacant looking for a tenant has been one month. Throughout that time I have only raised rents not lower them. But let's say you get in that financial bind and can't pay even your $1169 to cover your mortgage. Or your job transfers you out of town and you need to go. Either case you simply move, rent out your unit and now you have $3000 rent coming in and $2669 going out......easy peasy!!! The key here is for the first two years, make the difference in payments to yourself $591 monthly X 12 X 2 = $15,084. That will give you your maintenance reserve. Once your above 10k in reserve you have the option of paying down your note quicker should you decide to do so. House Hacking with a duplex should whet your appetite to want to acquire more properties. Good luck! Cheers!

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 385 posts · 274 votes
    7y

    @Robert Ombres, you are absolutely correct, thank you for the clarification. @Rebecca Helm is this an older home that could be turned back into a single family at some point in the future? If it is that might change the conversation a little. I am not sure which would sell better to be honest, a single family or a duplex. Maybe Robert could answer help with that answer. 

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Robert Ombres:

    @Jon A. though I think you know this, let's not put out information that isn't accurate- VRBO's aren't "illegal." Short Term Rentals, anything less than 30 days, are not allowed in most residential zoning areas. There are a few zoning areas they are still allowed and there is also the ability to have a homestay permit which will allow up to two bedrooms to be rented short term. I believe you understand that, but it can be confusing if you throw out a blanket statement like the one you did.
    With that said, rentals 31 (30?) days or more, aren't being regulated against. These aren't considered "short term." These can be advertised on VRBO/AirBNB/wherever.

    You are absolutely correct- the many apartment buildings are what is causing rental rates to soften. It really is incredible how many are being thrown up in the greater Asheville area.

    That and new construction developments are having a (small) impact as well. Each of these developments will see a small percentage of homes purchased for rental purposes.

    @Rebecca Helm a few questions for you.

    Why do you think you can rent one side out for $1500 if your rent is only $1000, utilities included?

    Your numbers show $6000 for utilities, not counting water/sewage/trash. So that's electric, what else? You're not seriously paying $500/month on electric, are you?

    AirBNB, regardless of what WAX and the many other FB groups may lead you to believe, aren't the (primary) reason for increased rent rates. I'm sure they have a small influence in some cities, but not Asheville. As Jon spoke on, AirBNB is highly regulated in Asheville. Rent rates are high because of other factors impacting supply and demand (the ultimate reason). Frankly, there's a housing shortage with no significant push to correct it. NIMBYs are highly resistant to improving the area's infrastructure and new development.

    @Account Closed $25k roof? $30k plumbing? Those numbers are insane. She could renovate the entire place with money like that.

    Great question. The other side is a two bedroom unit, hence the higher rate. Your right about utilities--I believe the number they gave me includes trash, recycling, and water. I had been calculating those separately for SFH and forgot to remove them. Good catch.

  • Rental Property Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Jon Arsenault hey Jon, we have a N Avl duplex on Hy Vu above Merrimon. Where is yours downtown?

  • Rental Property Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Rebecca Helm hi Rebecca. Where is the duplex you’re considering? Ours is a mile from UNCA, so I think not far away. A street name might help with the neighborhood aspect of valuation. Asheville’s market is interesting to say the least!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.