Military at age 35 and want to start investing in RE

16 Replies

Hey everyone,

I would really like some input and suggestions about my current situation. Long story short, I just turned 35, I am seriously considering joining the military. My age doesn’t scare me as I’m in better shape than I was in my 20s. I don’t own a home but I do, however, want to start investing in RE. I figured I’d “military house hack” and put as much $ into investments and have something to show for when I’m done. Has anyone ever invested while on active duty or know someone who has? What would be the pros and cons?

Any suggestions or tips will go a long way. Thank you all.

@Ricardo Valdez Yup! We recently toured a military couple who have been buying where they're stationed, living there, then turn it into a rental when they move to another place/base. Pretty great strategy if you can find property management you trust everywhere you go, and don't get too caught up in trying to make a place tailored to your tastes rather than treating it as an investment. 

Best of luck, sir :)

@Ricardo Valdez Hey Ricardo! Look up Active Duty Passive Income, it's all about REI with the military lifestyle. I am a military spouse and I think the military lifestyle and discipline are a great combo for REI success!!!! Best of luck on your ventures.

@Ricardo Valdez I operate a platform called "From military to Millionaire" that is entirely dedicated to military real estate investing, happy to help in any way I can!

@Ricardo Valdez , I’m military and I’ve been investing for the last 7 years. Short answer, you can invest while serving. An added consideration is what you do military and where can make a big difference. Housing hacking would work well while in the military. However, single lower enlisted may not be able to live off the installation.

Originally posted by @David Pere :

@Ricardo Valdez I operate a platform called "From military to Millionaire" that is entirely dedicated to military real estate investing, happy to help in any way I can!

David,

Thank you and your group for their service. I don't know how or if there is one, but BP should have a group on here for military people and a way for non-military people like me who want to find ways to help out.

There is a military investor forum, but nothing specific per se. I'm building a community for this purpose!

@Ricardo Valdez I’m active duty AF, 10 years in. The pros is you get a BAH (housing allowance), great insurance and steady pay check, the cons is it’s not very much starting out depending on if your going enlisted or commissioning? Also deployments get in the way and being in my career it takes a lot of off duty time for PT, getting promotions etc...

You need to know the rhythm of your unit and your career path before investing-- if you're going to spend a lot of time away on exercises, in a job where you're expected to put in serious hours, aboard a ship, on hardship duty assignments, or otherwise deployed-- you need to have effective support systems in place faster than other RE investors do. If you're married, this goes for your spouse too. Military life can have a big impact on spousal income too.

You also need to be aware of the risk of any sort of base realignment on your real estate.

@Ricardo Valdez , You should check out the ADPI podcast with @Eric Upchurch! This podcast is catered towards vets and how they can start using their resources to invest in real estate

@Robert Already going! Look for the Facebook group "From military to millionaire"

@Ricardo Valdez

Active duty house hacking is a great strategy. There are a number of BP podcasts on the matter. The VA loans and the positive selection bias that comes with base properties and the kinds of tenants tends to work in your favor.

If you are planning on spending more time deployed, then passive options like syndications are private loans tend to be strong options. I know military contractors and soldiers that have gone that route. Some people also choose a mix of both.