Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Josh Taylor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Olin, NC
Votes |
Multifamily refinancing loan

Josh Taylor
  • Olin, NC
Posted

I currently have 2 rental units but am looking at buying my first multifamily property in my hometown here in NC. It is a 2/1, 2/1, and studio triplex. I am going to be using an equity loan for 1yr intrest only to purchase the property. I talked to several lenders today to see what their seasoning period and LTV percentage allowed to cash out after remodeling it is. The problem im having is that all the lenders said they will have to have 3 comps of triplexes to get an appraisal to refinance to a 30yr fixed and without comps no loan. There are plenty of duplexes around but hardly any triplexes. Any ideas how to solve this dilemma? I dont want to do a brrrr on this property and be stuck without being able to refinance it.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Taylor
  • Olin, NC
Votes |
  • Olin, NC
Replied

I might have put this in wrong forum. Looking for a residential loan

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied

I haven't heard of a bank unwilling to do a loan because their weren't nearby comparables. Maybe that's more of an issue with rural properties. Has the bank said they won't do the loan because of this or are you assuming it will be a problem? I would ask the bank. I would I think the appraiser could use a duplex as a comp or find ones a little bit further out or something along those lines.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Josh Taylor
  • Olin, NC
Votes |
  • Olin, NC
Replied

They just said if the underwriters couldn't find triplex comps in the area, they would be unable to do the loan. Two lenders told me the same thing today

User Stats

Votes
Stephanie P.
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker
Replied

@josh taylor

We had a borrower with a similar situation in Middleburg VA. There were no 4 unit comps on a beautifully renovated 4 unit building in a very desirable area. The appraiser couldn't even find any 2 unit comps. Lender after lender have turned it down and finally, I believe the borrower is going to sell.

It does happen

Stephanie

User Stats

Votes
Alex G.
  • Eastern Mass & Central Maine
Votes |
  • Eastern Mass & Central Maine
Replied

A bank must have an appraisal to underwrite a mortgage.

An appraiser must find comparables to prepare an appraisal.

No comparables = no appraisal = no mortgage.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Taylor
  • Olin, NC
Votes |
  • Olin, NC
Replied

Since posting this, I have found a mortgage broker who said they can use duplexes and quadplexes to compare the triplex im purchasing. She seemed to think it would be no problem to get a mortgage on. We will see

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Covington
  • Mortgage Broker
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Mortgage Broker
  • Dallas, TX
Replied

@Josh Taylor I would be wary, I’m a mortgage broker and I don’t think I would personally tell you yes to that. It is truly up to the lender they use and if the appraiser clearly has problems locating something to compare it to then any lender is going to question that as well.

Just food for thought.

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Martinez
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Hey Josh,

It is really going to be up to the appriaser and if they think they can do it. Appraisals are completely subjective. You can get 2 different appraisers to appraise the same property and you will end up getting 2 different values. Some Appraisers will consider using the duplexs as comps and adjust pricing for the 3rd untit. Or like somebody mentioned above, they will use duplexes and 4-plexes and adjust the pricing accordingly. Other appraisers will just decline it. it is also going to depend on how the property is set up. Is it truely a 3 unit property or is it a duplex with a detached garage that was converted into a studio apartment. I would say it is not a dead deal for you, you just need to investigate a little more. 

Hope this helps!