Is Baltimore a good city to do remote investing in?

11 Replies

Hi Reggie, no experience here and just starting to scope that area as well. From what I understand so far is that Baltimore has a good potential for cash flow, you just have to pick your street or neighborhood carefully based on your risk tolerance. Will be following this thread as other with experience chime in!

You can do well with the right strategy.  The entire city is not risky.  It has good and bad parts like any other major city.  It just has more bad parts than other cities.  The inner harbor is not the only good part.  If you are in a good part things like property management, leasing, maintenance, building a team, etc. will be easier.

Baltimore city and county has 1.4 million people in it so there are all kinds of rental areas. Hip Canton to cash flow west Baltimore.

What is different about Baltimore is it has a higher proportion of low income renters. So the single family B or C grade areas have better cash flow than most other cities.

Drive by posts like this may make people weary of even bothering to entertain. Anyone who has basic involvement with this site knows there are hundreds if not thousands of topics and investors devoted to Baltimore. Many of these posts are set up by people who never even return to see the comments which is why some don´t take them seriously. 

Originally posted by @Mark Cruse :

Drive by posts like this may make people weary of even bothering to entertain. Anyone who has basic involvement with this site knows there are hundreds if not thousands of topics and investors devoted to Baltimore. Many of these posts are set up by people who never even return to see the comments which is why some don´t take them seriously. 

This is not that. I’ve narrowed down to two areas that I’d like to start investing in and I figured a real estate forum would be a good place to start to compile real information. I’ve done a lot of research so far but I put real value in what real people are saying that are already in the area. Just looking for some actual feedback unlike the gentleman that simply posted “no” earlier. 

Ok, I can respect that. In general, Baltimore has it´s good areas and bad areas like many other places. However, you really need to know your area. This place goes block by block and if you do not know what is going on it can destroy you. Don´t just go by the way it looks. Do a lot of research; visit often and find out as much as you can about where you want to go with it. In terms of remote investing; my experiences have been ok but  its best to be close to things. If not, you are really going to need an outstanding property manager. Its a process because Baltimore can be hard at times. Make sure you get the right numbers for what you get and be patient. 

@Mark Cruse

I appreciate the feedback. I did notice that about Baltimore how it drastically changes from block to block when I did visit. Can’t go based on neighborhoods as a search area. I’ve already started researching property management but as you said it’s gonna come down to visiting more frequently to really get a true lay of the land. Thanks again

@Reggie Desir

I think your budget plays a big part in it.

Baltimore has good parts if you spend more than 80k+ plus renovations.

if you are just interested in the lowest entry points like 40-50-60 all in, you also need to think about squatters, only concern is not just finding a nice block to buy a house.

Risk also involves people stealing your AC unit, or entering and breaking stuff or just

living in it.

For that reason, you need your people first, then you buy the house.