Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Aayush S.
Votes |
Current Commercial Loan Terms and Rates

Aayush S.
Posted May 14 2021, 15:13

Hello BP,

I recently found an 8-plex property on the market and I'm wondering what the terms are for a commercial loan in order to get that property. So far I've been seeing 5-year terms, 20-year amortization, and below 6% interest rate. Could someone provide some insight on the current rates they are seeing and whether or not the terms given to me are common? Please feel free to PM me or post below.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Cambridge
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied May 19 2021, 10:56

You should be able to get a 30yr/30am at around the same rates and 5yr/30am for less. Keep in mind programs are different and your credit, liquidity, property cash flow and condition influence the transaction. 

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Gray
  • Syndication Expert and Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Syndication Expert and Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied May 19 2021, 18:23

What's the purchase price or loan amount? I would look into Fannie or Freddie SBL programs. We just got a conventional Freddie 10 year term floating 250bps over libor (2.61% currently) 30 year am, non recourse. 

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
Managing your property just got WAY cheaper and easier! Handle repairs, rent, listings, and more with the touch of a button - property manage like a pro!

User Stats

Votes
Conor Freeman
  • Lender
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • San Diego, CA
Replied May 20 2021, 10:31

@Spencer Gray The Freddie floating-rate deals are on fire right now, a lot of our clients are taking advantage of them. Correct that they're in the 2.40%-2.60% range but the minimum loan amount is typically $7.5mm, so probably not a fit for an 8-plex, unfortunately.

@Aayush S. Terms on 5+ units should 5, 7, or 10 years on a 30-year amortization with rates in the high 3%'s / low 4%'s. Freddie and Fannie's small balance loan program starts at $1mm so depending on the location it may be too small for us. I'd start calling local banks. If you DM me the market I can pull a report showing all the apartment loans financed by banks in the area. Happy to pass it along to you. 

User Stats

Votes
Aayush S.
Votes |
Replied May 20 2021, 10:46

Thank you all for the replies!
I do however have a follow-up question regarding refinancing since that is something I would need to do every 5-10 years with commercial loans. What are the typical closing costs of a refinance and what percent of the loan is that usually? 3%? 4%? 5%? Planning to try and refi every 5-10 years once I buy the property but not sure if I would really be benefitting from it.

User Stats

Votes
Lien Vuong
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Replied May 20 2021, 10:47

I just closed on 3.875% with 30 year ammo and 2% pre payment penalty within the first 5 years if paid outside of bank with a local lender (Boston area for your reference)

User Stats

Votes
Chris Cambridge
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York, NY
Replied May 20 2021, 13:05
Originally posted by @Aayush S.:

Thank you all for the replies!
I do however have a follow-up question regarding refinancing since that is something I would need to do every 5-10 years with commercial loans. What are the typical closing costs of a refinance and what percent of the loan is that usually? 3%? 4%? 5%? Planning to try and refi every 5-10 years once I buy the property but not sure if I would really be benefitting from it.

Every state has different fees/taxes associated with closing. Check the state the property is located in to find out. Other than that it's just lender fees and/or broker fees. If you want a more technical answer the lower your loan the higher the fees because they tend to be fixed costs. 

User Stats

Votes
Aayush S.
Votes |
Replied May 20 2021, 15:47

What would you say the average would be for say maybe a 500k loan? I'm trying to estimate the percent since it's something I will have to think about sooner or later? What would be the safest percentage to take? Currently, I'm using 6% closing costs, but I'm beginning to feel like that's quite high. Thoughts? 

User Stats

Votes
Tony Gorokhovsky
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied May 20 2021, 23:10

@Aayush Shivashankar

I just closed a commercial loan of 5 year fixed on a 25 year amort @ 3.9%. The rate readjusts @ year 6 which I don’t love but all of the commercial lenders I’ve spoken with said the same thing to me.

Typically rates will depend on credit and experience.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Bombaci
Property Manager
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lowell, MA
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lowell, MA
Replied May 21 2021, 07:30

@Aayush S. check out local credit unions or call any banks you have a relationship with to see their terms. The terms will vary based on they type of property, the location, your experience, and your strength as a borrower. There is no “Industry Rate” or “Standard Terms” on the commercial side which I think you’re seeing based on the previous posts. 

We just closed on a 6 unit in Fitchburg for our personal portfolio and it was 25% down, 15 year loan, at 3.5% interest, fixed for 5 years, amortized over 25 years, with no prepayment penalty. 

We received similar rates on a property we closed in Lowell about 6 months ago with the same lender. 

Closing costs will vary as well based on many factors. I’ve paid $1200, $2500, $3500, and $7500 for commercial appraisals. Insurance can also vary substantially depending on property type and location. Assuming it’s a $500k, vanilla residential units, Class B commercial property that does not require any environmental testing or flood insurance, I’d estimate 2-3% or $10-15k in closing costs. Your lender can give you a better estimate once you have the property  under agreement and start your loan application. 

Commercial financing is the wild Wild West, go establish a good relationship with a lender and they’ll work with you on terms over time once you prove yourself. 

Best,

Jon

Candor Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nick Robinson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Murrieta, CA
Votes |
  • Murrieta, CA
Replied May 21 2021, 21:17

@Aayush S.
I agree with @Jonathan Bombaci and everyone else that has posted here.  There is not a standard rate or terms.  If you have never done a commercial deal I would plan on not getting the "best" terms or rates.  If you do not have a relationship with a local bank or CU you may want to look into getting a loan broker especially because it is your first deal.  

FYI I am closing on a property in about 2 weeks.  The property is a value add and the loan I am getting is a construction/bridge loan that rolls into perm. financing.  So the purchase and rehab is all rolled into the loan and it is interest only for the first 18mo.  It is a 10/30 with the first 5yr fixed at 3.8% and adjusts at year 6 and than is fixed at that rate for the last 5 years.  The prepayment penalty is a fixed 1% and they are lending me 70% LTC for the project.  Even though I have done commercial deals before I have never done one with this bank but they will go up to 75% LTC and roll the interest only period (18mo) into the loan so you do not have a payment for the 18mos you are rehabbing which is a huge advantage.  Basically everything is based on experience and relationships.  Good Luck and Happy Investing!!!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 23 2021, 22:49

@Nick Robinson Hi Nick which bank or CU did you use? Do they lend out of State? I am trying to buy a 6 unit apartment building in NY. thank you  

User Stats

Votes
Nick Robinson
  • Murrieta, CA
Votes |
  • Murrieta, CA
Replied May 24 2021, 06:34

@Benjamin Zhang
It is a small regional bank that only lends in AZ CO, maybe CA.If you need a lender I would try a loan broker it costs 1% but they do most the work for you. Also it usually ends up being about the same because the lender they find you will drop their 1% fee, sometimes.

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 24 2021, 14:49

@Nick Robinson got it. thank you 

User Stats

Votes
Shane Crockett
Pro Member
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Seattle, WA
Replied May 27 2021, 22:44

@Conor Freeman can you pull a list of banks finding MF deals in any city? 🙂

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo Moreno
  • Sugar Land, TX
Votes |
  • Sugar Land, TX
Replied Dec 9 2022, 08:14

@Conor Freeman I was wondering if you can pull a list for Houston Tx.