Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Land & New Construction
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Britt Smith
Votes |
User Stats

Votes
Patrick Liska
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Verona, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Verona, NJ
Replied May 25 2022, 03:14

If you can build a new house for less then you can purchase one, then there is nothing wrong with that. The positive of building the house is that everything will be new and you can figure you may have about 15 years before you would have to replace any appliances and depending on the roof used about 30 years. The positive for purchasing a house is that you do not have to wait for the house to be built, and start collecting rent right away. so a new house you will be spending money while the house is getting built ( construction loan, taxes, insurance,utilities) until you can rent it. Purchased property you will start collecting rent which will cover your mortgage, taxes and insurance ( utilities if you pay, no utilities if tenant pays) but you may have maintenance issues that may have to be payed along the way.

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied May 25 2022, 04:13

With the cost of labor and materials right now, the chances that you could buy land and build for less than you could just pick up an existing home aren't great. Factor in holding costs, delays, permitting issues, etc and you are most likely not going to end up ahead. 

If you have experience as a builder, that's a different story, but I wouldn't start with a new build. 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied May 25 2022, 07:26

There are some people out there still doing spec builds (I'm one of those people). But you need to be a very experienced developer to pull this off, and even then you will expose yourself to significant risk in this rising rate environment where labor and material prices are still sky high.

Start smaller.

User Stats

Votes
Issac San Miguel
  • Lender
  • Austin Texas
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin Texas
Replied May 25 2022, 07:30
Agreed, the risk is high in building vs fix and flip.  It is a whole different level, and the reward is not as great to an inexperienced builder.

User Stats

Votes
Justin R.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Anselmo
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Anselmo
Replied May 25 2022, 07:37

Time and Risk. 

Time = money lost while not collecting rent. 

Risk = Uncovering the unknowns (Labor/material cost, permits, inspections, contractors)

User Stats

Votes
Britt Smith
Votes |
Replied May 25 2022, 07:57

Thanks! You guys are awesome!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Garcia
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied May 25 2022, 13:40

Hi @Britt Smith, as the others have said, there is a shortage of materials and labor. You would likely need to wait 12-18 months to actually get in the home. 

If you have a great builder that is building a subdivision, they can generally get done within 3 months and they are much cheaper than spec homes.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 25 2022, 14:34

I am in DFW and have been looking for almost 2 years now to try to get one more rental.  The new build market is every bit as competitive as existing home, inventory of new build is pretty much non-existent.  With the rate been up, all the news are reporting there's a lot of cancellation on new build.  I will try to get out there these couple weeks to figure out if this is true or not.