Looking for Simple House Design Software

7 Replies

Does anyone know of software that will allow me (who has no artist or architectural skills) to draft a simple floor plan of a house I'm rehabbing? ALSO looking for that program to allow me to draw a diagram of the outside of the house. I want to start marketing a rehab I haven't started rehabbing yet so instead of pics of an unfinished house I want to show the diagram of the outside (like they do when marketing new construction that hasn't been started yet) and the floor plan. A plus would be the ability to design rooms like kitchens and bathrooms with the program. Thanks in advance!

Maybe @Karen Margave has a suggestion?

My wife uses this on the iPad:

http://roomplanner.chiefarchitect.com/

Seems relatively easy and full-featured, even the free version. Also allows 3D imaging of the plan (which is awesome and tremendously helpful).

Thanks guys. @J Scott that app is so nice it makes me want to go out and get an ipad just to use it :). Does it allow me to draw a diagram of the outside of a house?

I was also trying to tag @Karen Margrave to this thread but couldn't do it on my droid. Karen any advice you could offer would be appreciated.

Ib

@Ibrahim S Our son uses a very sophisticated program to draw our plans. However; in the past to just get ideas on placement, etc. I've used this one. Homestyler by Autocad Hopefully one of these will work for you. Good luck!

I usually use Visio to sketch out rooms or floor layouts. It's got built-in and add-in features that are specifically for house layouts (toilet, vanity, shower, kitchen cabinets, etc.). When designing kitchen layouts I usually break out the ruler and grid paper...but that's probably not going to work to put on marketing material!

Karen and Michael, thank you both!

I've also read of someone that uses Sketch Up.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.