The NARROWEST house plan you have ever built or been in?

The NARROWEST house plan you have ever built or been in?

Karen MargraveBusiness Member
Moderator
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes

We are going to be building 2 new condos in San Clemente, CA, and each unit can only be 16' wide. Michael has already designed a 3/3 with under building parking and 2 levels of living space. If we could find 9" more, we could eliminate the lower level garage! But that's not to be. 

However; for fun, I've been searching online for other narrow lot plans that others have built. I must say, so far, nothing had beat what we already have. 

I was just wondering, what is the smallest plan you have ever built? (Plan not lot) 

I also thought some of you from the more populated places like Los Angeles,  San Francisco and the bay area might enjoy this site. Innovative Designs

3Reply
88 views

Most Popular Reply

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y

I have not walked in or built these, but I'm sure some folks would enjoy taking a peek at these phenomenally thin buildings in Japan. Cheers to @Shane Pearlman for sharing a bit about Japanese real estate with me when we went hiking down in the redwoods in Santa Cruz. I knew exactly what @Arlen Chou was talking about with a new home. And saw an article about some amazingly thin buildings..

Some of them appear to be no more than 5-6 ft across..

http://weburbanist.com/2010/06/06/narrower-towers-20-of-japans-thinnest-buildings/

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
    11y

    Hmm... I've been in row houses in Hoboken, NJ that must have been 10 - 12 feet wide.  There was a sofa, less than a foot of space, a coffee table, less than a foot of space, and the entertainment center... that was wall to wall width for the entire unit.  The kitchen table folded down so you could walk through the kitchen when you weren't eating.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2014 · 661 posts · 400 votes
    11y

    @Karen Margrave

    That is impressive!!

    I am building on 36 feet wide right now and I am frustrated :)

    I would love to see which one you are building. 

    Andrew

  • Real Estate Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2013 · 108 posts · 71 votes
    11y

    16' wide (actually 15'9") is pretty common in modular construction because of shipping issues - not sure but I think they can put that size box on a trailer and just be subject to "Oversize Load" transportation requirements (such as an escort in certain states).  Anything wider than that and it gets astronomically expensive to ship.

    I'm working on two separate townhouse condo developments (one is three attached units, one is five attached units) with floorplates of roughly 16 x 32.  They're tall skinny units, but with some tweaks to the floor plans the layouts aren't bad - parking under; kitchen, 1/2 bath and open living area on the first floor; two beds and a bath on the second floor; master bed and bath on the third floor.  1,400 - 1,500 sf of living area.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Andrew Cordle 

     Here's a link to the page on our website that shows the floor plan as it is now, where it will have under building parking.

     San Clemente Condos - Each 16' wide - 1800 sq. ft.

    @Tom Meade It's not so much the width, though it's a challenge, it's trying to get 2 stories without having to do under building parking, as it will save a lot of money. 

    @Nathan Emmert Yes, there are some tiny houses out there! Crazy. 

  • Ceril S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 80 votes
    11y

    @Karen Margrave Those plans are beautiful!  I was just searching for narrow floor plans to start researching for a possible narrow plot urban infill (more of a "someday" plan).  I really love the flow and use of space! And you're right, nothing I've seen even comes close to what you've got. Bravo!

    The smallest I've been in were Baltimore row houses. I'd guess about 12' wide. Had me feeling pretty clausterphobic!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2014 · 661 posts · 400 votes
    11y

    @Karen Margrave

    House is cool especially to be so narrow. 

    I can't wait to see the final product. 

    AC

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Ceril S.  If you have to do small space, the trick is to try to get higher ceilings, just a foot makes a huge difference. 

  • Investor · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2012 · 239 posts · 168 votes
    11y

    OMG in Baltimore 16' wide is huge in some parts of town! Eleven feet across is not uncommon in some 19th-century brick townhouses. This is also true of some pricy neighborhoods in downtown DC, such as Georgetown, Capitol Hill, and Foggy Bottom. 

    Count your blessings! 

    Nancy Roth

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    I have not walked in or built these, but I'm sure some folks would enjoy taking a peek at these phenomenally thin buildings in Japan. Cheers to @Shane Pearlman for sharing a bit about Japanese real estate with me when we went hiking down in the redwoods in Santa Cruz. I knew exactly what @Arlen Chou was talking about with a new home. And saw an article about some amazingly thin buildings..

    Some of them appear to be no more than 5-6 ft across..

    http://weburbanist.com/2010/06/06/narrower-towers-20-of-japans-thinnest-buildings/

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    11y
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @J. Martin  Those aren't houses, they're wide walls! Unbelievable! Who would ever think it feasible to build something like that. No wonder there's no obesity in Japan, you might get stuck in the house! Thanks for sharing. 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Nancy Roth  I imagine your market is much like New York. I've seen those tiny spaces on HGTV shows, where every inch has to count for several! 

  • Investor · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2012 · 239 posts · 168 votes
    11y

    @J. Martin

    I think thin buildings are elegant in certain settings, and your Japanese examples show that off perfectly. My favorite among many brilliant buildings in New York City is the Flatiron Building, the skyscraper at 5th Ave. and Broadway just south of Madison Sq. Park. I would love to have an office right at that tiny point. 

     http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Flatiron_B...

    @Steve Babiak In a Colonial-era townhouse in South Philly I once visited, going up the stairs felt like climbing a ladder. There was one small room per floor. Folks just didn't grow very big or live very large back then.

    @Karen Margrave It's a cultural thing, I think. Westerners are so used to wide-open spaces that a 16-foot width feels confining. Easterners, especially urbanites, have found ingenious ways to live reasonably well in tight spaces. In fact micro-apartments are trendy in NYC and to some extent in DC. I'd be surprised to find anything like that out West, you just wouldn't find a market for them.

    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/small-spaces-from-...

    Nancy Roth

  • Contractor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2014 · 157 posts · 89 votes
    11y

    I built 4 of these last year and the year before, 18' wide ~1550/ft 3/2.5 on pilings. They are officially called "townhomes" but only share partial stair entry. Lots are 28' wide. 

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11y

    Yeah I guess that is why I love the burbs where I live. I love wide open spaces, high vaulted ceilings, and lot's of space.

    I wouldn't live in these constricted houses. I would rather sleep outside in the open then be confined like that.

    The 18' wide isn't that bad. Those others are just getting way too cramped.

    I guess it is required for urban core areas. I would just spend more money to have a larger open space or buy outside the city. I guess some do not have a choice.  

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 67 posts · 12 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Nancy Roth:

    OMG in Baltimore 16' wide is huge in some parts of town! Eleven feet across is not uncommon in some 19th-century brick townhouses. This is also true of some pricy neighborhoods in downtown DC, such as Georgetown, Capitol Hill, and Foggy Bottom. 

    Count your blessings! 

    Nancy Roth

    Nancy I agree!  I have become so numb to DC and MD's narrow structures; It blends in as  NOT so unique anymore!  I really enjoy getting creative with the DC area's narrow floor plans though........its challenging as well.  

  • Investor · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2012 · 239 posts · 168 votes
    11y

    @Joel Owens

    Yeah, there is definitely an aesthetic component to it. Being an urban dweller to the core, I really like being close to the community, and smaller, closer houses are part of that. 

    I would feel isolated and lonely in a big country or suburban enclave with a lot of acres separating me from my neighbors. 

    Obviously not everyone feels the same way. Aren't we lucky to have choices in this country.

    Best,

    Nancy Roth

  • Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
    11y

    Try getting California ADA compliance on those!  

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Ok, @Michael Margrave passed this along to me, and it's narrow, but unbelievable the efficiency! Another narrow house.

     
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Keith Bloemendaal where's the floor plans? I love that style too. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Karen Margrave 

      we do a lot of Portland skinnies 15 feet wide @Keith Bloemendaal 

      and we are doing the same as Keith in Charleston.. I have an offer in on a lot now that is 15X40 

    @J. Martin 

      On my drive up to Hood River yesterday with one of my partners.. ( his wife is from Tokoyo ) he was regaling me on these ultra tiny homes. And the little 10 by 12 lots they buy and go one story down and 4 up.. and they pay a million bucks for the lot...

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs  Now that's something you need to put the plans on here for us to see, then make sure we can follow along in Investor Deal Diaries!  How much did you pay for your lot? 

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Karen Margrave 

    Had a lot that was 50 feet wide and the setbacks were minimum side 10 ft, but side total had to be 30 feet, leaving 20 ft in center for house.

    I appealed for a variance, but there were objections by neighbors.  The Zoning Officer suggested a single wide mobile home as being code compliant, and the neighbors went ballistic.  Still was denied my variance.  Sold to a builder who built a 20 ft wide SF detached house.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 185 posts · 97 votes
    11y

    Great post. Size and comfort with size is a relative thing - I'd feel cramped if every other home around me were big and I had a teeny thing, but after 3.5 years of living in Philadelphia, anything bigger than 14' wide strikes me as being practically humungous now. 

    My own house is a 2-story 14' wide, 60' deep row home in Philly and it feels big in comparison to most here. As @Karen Margrave  says, high ceilings make a difference.  With 10' high ceilings downstairs, and 9' upstairs, most people respond when entering that it is a "large" house :) 

  • Contractor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2014 · 157 posts · 89 votes
    11y

    Now that I've seen @Karen Margrave plans, I understand more. We have all 50' wide lots here, with 7.5' side setbacks, so that leaves only 35' to build on, and duplex/condos are popular, so many build like what she is doing. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.