Skip to content
Land & New Construction

User Stats

Votes
Matt M.
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Modular Multifamily Construction in Denver - Any experience?

Matt M.
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Posted Mar 5 2015, 07:23

Due to the difficulty in finding rehab deals here in Denver & lack of housing supply, I am looking at doing a small modular townhome development for resale. (6-8 units to start) They would be what I call shotgun townhomes or tall and narrow. 

Does anyone have experience in a modular project like this? I have just started to look for land in the metro area north to Fort Collins and have found 2 companies so far that will deliver these products to Denver. 

Any specific questions I should ask the modular building companies? 

User Stats

Votes
Juline R.
  • Investor
  • traveling
Votes |
  • Investor
  • traveling
Replied Nov 15 2016, 19:33

So what came of this research?  I have a lot in Denver, I have just started researching current prefab, modular build on site options...... for single lot, but multi family, I am R3 zoned.

Would love some current info from anyone....

User Stats

Votes
Matt M.
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Nov 16 2016, 19:05

Here in Denver it didn't make sense as I was wary about the finish level of the units. I'm now actively looking for a modular company for an affordable housing development in Summit County.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ori Skloot
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Berkeley, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Berkeley, CA
Replied Mar 10 2017, 11:09

@Matt M.  Hi Matt,

This is an old post but I'm thinking about doing something similar in the Bay Area.  Do you have an update on how the process went?  Did you end up using the modular builder you were speaking with?

Thanks,

Ori

User Stats

Votes
Matt M.
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 10 2017, 12:58
Originally posted by @Ori Skloot:

@Matt M.  Hi Matt,

This is an old post but I'm thinking about doing something similar in the Bay Area.  Do you have an update on how the process went?  Did you end up using the modular builder you were speaking with?

Thanks,

Ori

We are still working on infrastructure and the City/County. I don't have anything new to report.

User Stats

Votes
Catherine Peters
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 11 2017, 20:25
Originally posted by @Matt M.:

Here in Denver it didn't make sense as I was wary about the finish level of the units. I'm now actively looking for a modular company for an affordable housing development in Summit County.

User Stats

Votes
Catherine Peters
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 11 2017, 20:28

Hi Matt, I'm looking into building a fourplex in englewood on an fha new build loan (would be owner occupied) and am curious about your comment on finish levels. Ours would be built as a mid range rental property so not for resale as we have a buy and hold strategy, but I obviously would want a good product. Can you share what exactly your concerns were? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Matt M.
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 12 2017, 13:13
Originally posted by @Catherine Peters:

Hi Matt, I'm looking into building a fourplex in englewood on an fha new build loan (would be owner occupied) and am curious about your comment on finish levels. Ours would be built as a mid range rental property so not for resale as we have a buy and hold strategy, but I obviously would want a good product. Can you share what exactly your concerns were? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I think it's been almost 2 years now since I checked out the models. I just didn't feel the finish was on the same level as a stick built $600k+ townhome. It just felt too cheap.

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Slaughter
  • Wholesaler
  • Fort Collins, CO
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Fort Collins, CO
Replied Oct 18 2017, 14:41

@Matt M. where are you at with this project? I know an investor that is doing a 4plex and 3plex in Fort Collins, modular built to 2012 IRC standards. Another investor in central CO is doing a 210 unit project with the same builder and they have broken ground/have had the first unit delivered. We are looking at doing a similar project with the same mod builder and building in central CO.

@Account Closed, I would like to get the info for your friend who does smart units, would you mind sending that over?

User Stats

Votes
Matt M.
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Oct 18 2017, 14:43
Originally posted by @Jennifer Slaughter:

@Matt M. where are you at with this project? I know an investor that is doing a 4plex and 3plex in Fort Collins, modular built to 2012 IRC standards. Another investor in central CO is doing a 210 unit project with the same builder and they have broken ground/have had the first unit delivered. We are looking at doing a similar project with the same mod builder and building in central CO.

@Account Closed, I would like to get the info for your friend who does smart units, would you mind sending that over?

Up in Breckenridge. We are prepping the site this winter. Haven't narrowed down a builder yet. Who did you go with?

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Slaughter
  • Wholesaler
  • Fort Collins, CO
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Fort Collins, CO
Replied Oct 18 2017, 14:49

@Matt M., my inlaws just did a stick built in Breck.  We are talking to Champion and from what I can tell there are a lot of upgrades/options for finishes. The investor here in FC has customized his a bit to meet the local demand.  We have been talking to the Chaffee County economic development director about rolling out a mod development there and then maybe doing more projects in Summit and other counties.  The mod development could be a solution to the critically low affordable housing options.

User Stats

Votes
Matt M.
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Apr 22 2018, 17:40

Well...looks like someone is doing it on a medium scale. Will be interesting to follow.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/modular-living-coming-to-denvers-berkeley-neighborhood