multiple quotes from contractors

6 Replies

hi all

I'm going to talk to a surveyor tomorrow, and plan on talking to a few mote after that.. should I let them know that I'm going to be talking to their competition? 

Contractors should always expect that you'll be getting more than one bid.  If any of them are surprised/annoyed by this, that's a red flag right there...

Yes.  As @J Scottpoints out that would be a red flag if they were bothered by the fact.  You should always try to get at least a few bids on anything other than a minor project and any contractor worth having will know and expect it.  

thank you both for the prompt reply.

Don't take the lowest bidder, it means you may have to pay a higher bidder later to get it done correctly and now you've spent 2x.

Also consider time, especially with a surveyor.  You are usually blocked on doing anything if you are waiting on a survey.  So I am willing to pay a little more if the surveyor can get it done within 24-48 hours.

I wouldn't necessarily say don't take the lowest bidder. If you get four bids and one is way below the others, that would be a red flag to me.

Originally posted by @John Blackman :

Don't take the lowest bidder, it means you may have to pay a higher bidder later to get it done correctly and now you've spent 2x.

LOL. So true! Sad, but true.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here