Votes
Rodolfo Martinez
  • Bell Gardens, CA
Votes |
BUYING AND BUILDING ADDITIONAL HOME

Rodolfo Martinez
  • Bell Gardens, CA
Posted Feb 21 2017, 16:56

I am looking to buy a property in Los Angeles area and build a second home on the same lot. Upon building the home I want to borrow money from hard money lender, refinance to a conventional loan and pay the lender. I do qualify for a FHA for the first property, but have trouble getting a hard money lender to finance the construction of the second home. Any advise is greatly appreciated !

User Stats

Votes
Tim Ryan
  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor
  • Arcadia, CA
Votes |
  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor
  • Arcadia, CA
Replied Feb 22 2017, 09:26

From my experience Hard Money won't lend on your primary house. You'll have to get bank financing. If that can't be done then get Private Money Lenders (family, friends, boss, etc). But you'll have to show them the Business Plan. Something like - I but my front house and your funds builds the second one. When done, we sell the whole property and it makes x- money and you get your funds back with x- extra as investment income.
If you wanted to rent the back then no way any private money will get in on that.

User Stats

Votes
Rodolfo Martinez
  • Bell Gardens, CA
Votes |
  • Bell Gardens, CA
Replied Feb 23 2017, 12:19

Hard money won't lend me even if i place them as a 1st person/lien on my primary property; in order for them to secure their investment on the construction of the construction for the second property (in the same lot).? 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Kiersten Vance
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Redlands, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Redlands, CA
Replied Feb 23 2017, 16:46

Hi.

If you are getting an FHA loan for the property, then that lender will take 1st place. How were you planning to give 1st place to another lender? Do you have another property you could offer as collateral? As said above, your best bet would be private money. It will be very hard though to convince someone to loan money when they have zero collateral for the project (until your house is completed).