Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Cesar Valencia
Votes |
Should I buy the land next door?

Cesar Valencia
Posted

Hello, If I have the opportunity to purchase the land next door to my house should I do it?

1. 1.What are the steps to "combine" that piece of land and my property? How do you go about doing that?
  2. 2.How much will a piece of land help in my appraisal value once I do successfully merge the land and my property?
  3. 3.Is it even worth the trouble?

I currently own a property in North Chattanooga and the land was divided a few years ago. The empty lot would be a challenge for anyone to make use of, including myself. Let me know what you think!

User Stats

Votes
John Teachout
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Concord, GA
Votes |
  • Concord, GA
Replied

In my experience, not purchase adjoining property when there's an opportunity almost always leads to later regret. This applies to your residence, not rental houses. There doesn't need to be a "use" for it, it keeps someone else from using it and gives you some "buffer" which is nice in most cases. (unless you like having nearby neighbors)

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied

Depends on price? If it's pretty cheap just snatch it up. If it's pricey it had better have a potential use - subdivide it, build more houses on it, etc.....

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Cesar Valencia
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @John Teachout:

In my experience, not purchase adjoining property when there's an opportunity almost always leads to later regret. This applies to your residence, not rental houses. There doesn't need to be a "use" for it, it keeps someone else from using it and gives you some "buffer" which is nice in most cases. (unless you like having nearby neighbors)

Thanks for the input John. 

User Stats

Votes
Cesar Valencia
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

Depends on price? If it's pretty cheap just snatch it up. If it's pricey it had better have a potential use - subdivide it, build more houses on it, etc.....

The price is $150k and it is essentially unusable land for anyone but myself or my neighbor really. I guess someone who really wanted to be on our street would make it work, but it would cost a lot to do anything with it.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Misch
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

It's probably more nuanced then we can fully understand, but I always think that no more land can be made, so any opportunity to buy more sounds like a plus. If it can be made part of your current land that will increase the value of it, and I can't imagine that there isn't something that can be done with it unless its swamp (even then someone smarter then me could figure it out). 

Lokal Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied

How much acreage is it, and is that in keeping with prices for raw land in your area? My initial thought is pass.....

User Stats

Votes
Cesar Valencia
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Nicholas Misch:

It's probably more nuanced then we can fully understand, but I always think that no more land can be made, so any opportunity to buy more sounds like a plus. If it can be made part of your current land that will increase the value of it, and I can't imagine that there isn't something that can be done with it unless its swamp (even then someone smarter then me could figure it out). 

Thats a good point. It's not swamp but the grade will be difficult to work with.

User Stats

Votes
Cesar Valencia
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

How much acreage is it, and is that in keeping with prices for raw land in your area? My initial thought is pass.....

I believe its .17 acres.

User Stats

Votes
John Teachout
  • Concord, GA
Votes |
  • Concord, GA
Replied

That price seems really high for that small of a lot. Do you know what current zoning requires for building? (mandatory lot size)

If someone did build on it, would that significantly impact your situation?

User Stats

Votes
Cesar Valencia
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @John Teachout:

That price seems really high for that small of a lot. Do you know what current zoning requires for building? (mandatory lot size)

If someone did build on it, would that significantly impact your situation?

Thats an interesting suggestion. I'll have to look into that.

User Stats

Votes
Carissa Trent
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Nashville, TN
Replied

As Chattanooga continues to grow as a sought-after market, having a larger piece of land is a great selling aspect of the property. Even if it is "unusable", land always has use for someone somewhere. You want to be the person to offer that opportunity and benefit from it.

User Stats

Votes
Cesar Valencia
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Carissa Trent:

As Chattanooga continues to grow as a sought-after market, having a larger piece of land is a great selling aspect of the property. Even if it is "unusable", land always has use for someone somewhere. You want to be the person to offer that opportunity and benefit from it.

That is true. The challenge I'm having is, assuming he won't let it go for less thank his current asking price of 125k (updated), I can';t think of a way to make that money back before the sale of the property. Basically with those same funds I can purchase a property and be cashflowing within 3 months instead of having it siting there. However, I do see the long term value of the land especially when the sale of the current property comes into play.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Replied

My guess is the lot you are on is similar in topography as to the one for sale.  The lots in N Chatt are steep and sometimes difficult to build on, but it can easily be done.  You just have know your costs.  It will sell and something will be built as the NP school zone is highly sought after and quickly running out of land.  It all depends on your longterm goals.  If immediate cash flow is of highest importance, then I wouldn't do it.  I had the opportunity to buy a house (double lot) across from my personal residence.  I would have much preferred the older, smaller ranch home to the ugly new build, but it wasn't worth the $$$ required to preserve my view.  I'd rank what's important and work from there.  

User Stats

Votes
Jason Andler
  • Canton OH
Votes |
  • Canton OH
Replied

@Cesar Valencia

Without knowing your market I agree with the other that it seems like a lot for that small of a lot. Seems like the market agrees with that sentiment since it's not selling and he has dropped his price by 25k. I'd say to figure out what it's worth to you and offer that. Even if it's just 40k. If it's declined just tell him to contact you if he ever changes his mind.

If your assumption is correct in that it would be useless for anyone other than your or your neighbor, then you don't need to worry about. Just let it sit. If someone does build there how much will it bother you? How long do you plan to stay in your current house?

If the other alternative is to buy cash flowing assets and your goal is to obtain cash flowing assets... buy cash flowing assets.

Your first question of combining it.. if you do purchase don't. When you sell in the future you might be able to get more by selling the lots separately, or it could be more attractive for someone to buy both lots and sell off the lot themselves. I think more flexibility is always a plus.