User Stats

Votes
AJ Satcher
Votes |
How Many Inspections is Enough?

AJ Satcher
Posted Jun 5 2023, 11:22

Hello all,

I'm in the process of closing a deal, so far I've had 2 inspections.

First inspection - Necessary. Items were brought up by inspector, no questions about getting this one.

Second Inspection: To address some of the major concerns from the initial inspection. Only around half of the agreed upon items were completed.

Third Inspection????: Trying to decide if it's still worth getting this one. This would be to address the items that were not taken care of in the second inspection.

Major items include:

- Insufficient attic insulation

- Back deck work (flashing, damaged joists)

- Plumbing leaks in a bathroom

- AFCI braker switch not working

etc.

At this point they've proven to me that they are not interested in doing what's agreed upon. Do I pay for yet ANOTHER inspection to protect myself or is this a waste?

Thanks BP community!

User Stats

Votes
David Ramirez
Pro Member
#3 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jun 5 2023, 11:36

If you are within your inspection period, do as many as you want. Determine what's a deal breaker for you and decide based on that. 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 5 2023, 19:29

One should be plenty. I don’t see why you should drain money on multiple inspections. You should have a good contractor and inspector that can get to the bottom of all issues of the property.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 6 2023, 03:58

@AJ Satcher

Have them provide a invoice with the work showing it’s been done (they can blank out the cost), if they don’t have one assume it’s not done and save your $

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz#3 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
Gregory Schwartz#3 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • College Station, TX
Replied Jun 6 2023, 04:19

Provide the inspection report to a seasoned investor that you respect and get their opinion. It feels like your 'stepping over dollars to chase pennies'. 

If I nit picked each of my inspection reports I would own 0 rentals. But I work a solid maintenance budget into my analysis and am prepared to fix items as required. 

User Stats

Votes
Adam Martin
Votes |
Replied Jun 6 2023, 04:34
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

@AJ Satcher

Have them provide a invoice with the work showing it’s been done (they can blank out the cost), if they don’t have one assume it’s not done and save your $

This.  I’m not paying my inspector to keep inspecting.  When we agree on repairs I stipulate it must be done by a licensed repair company and I get a receipt.  This way I know it was done and I double check the day of closing.  The only time I had an inspector come back is because he found raccoons in the attic and said he would t go up there until they were gone but would come back for free when they were.  Fair enough I’m not going up either.  

User Stats

Votes
AJ Satcher
Votes |
Replied Jun 6 2023, 06:27
Quote from @Adam Martin:
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

@AJ Satcher

This.  I’m not paying my inspector to keep inspecting.  When we agree on repairs I stipulate it must be done by a licensed repair company and I get a receipt.  This way I know it was done and I double check the day of closing.  The only time I had an inspector come back is because he found raccoons in the attic and said he would t go up there until they were gone but would come back for free when they were.  Fair enough I’m not going up either.  

LOL. Thanks for sharing

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jun 6 2023, 06:31

a) One inspection is enough, b) Those are not major items...

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Jun 6 2023, 06:49

If after the first inspection, you asked for repairs; get invoices to show that they were done within the time frame specified. IF they aren't done, then ask for $ and do them yourself after closing.  No house is perfect and there will be minor repairs that need to be done.  Only time I've asked for a seller to repair something was when the septic failed inspection and I asked for it to be replaced at their expense.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jun 6 2023, 06:53
Quote from @AJ Satcher:

Hello all,

First inspection - Necessary. Items were brought up by inspector, no questions about getting this one.

Second Inspection: To address some of the major concerns from the initial inspection. Only around half of the agreed upon items were completed.

Third Inspection????: Trying to decide if it's still worth getting this one. This would be to address the items that were not taken care of in the second inspection.

Major items include:

etc.

At this point they've proven to me that they are not interested in doing what's agreed upon. Do I pay for yet ANOTHER inspection to protect myself or is this a waste?

Thanks BP community!

I have never had even one in all my 500 or so deals.  Just have my guys walk it. Now if you are using a loan well you do not have any other option. However, all you need is ONE, after your team walks it. If you need more, you need a better team 

All the best 

User Stats

Votes
AJ Satcher
Votes |
Replied Jun 6 2023, 07:59
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @AJ Satcher:

Hello all,

Major items include:

etc.

Thanks BP community!

I have never had even one in all my 500 or so deals.  Just have my guys walk it. Now if you are using a loan well you do not have any other option. However, all you need is ONE, after your team walks it. If you need more, you need a better team 

All the best 

Hi,

I'm using FHA for a house hack. I don't have a very big team and I have one solid handyman that I'm confident with.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jun 6 2023, 08:06
Quote from @AJ Satcher:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @AJ Satcher:

Hello all,

Major items include:

etc.

Thanks BP community!

All the best 

Hi,

I'm using FHA for a house hack. I don't have a very big team and I have one solid handyman that I'm confident with.

Well one inspection should be enough.

Good luck  

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 6 2023, 11:07

The good news is I assume the sellers are desperate or they would have told you to take a hike when you asked for the repairs. Is the deal so bad that you’re willing to lose it over a couple hundred? If so, walk now. You’ve probably spent more in inspections that the repairs would have cost. 

Once you’re down to $20 gfci plugs what aren’t you complaining about? Very few used homes are perfect, maybe look at new builds with warranties. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jun 6 2023, 11:45
Quote from @AJ Satcher:

Major items include:

Just to revisit this.....you're surely aware that the cost to remedy those items is a few hundred, maybe a couple thousand dollars max? Not worth worrying about, or even trying to get the seller to fix if the price is right and you like the house....

User Stats

Votes
Mark S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Jun 6 2023, 12:21

@AJ Satcher Here is a slightly different take on inspections. I have seen enough inspections done by inspectors who were, let’s say not great at their job, that I would suggest have two different inspectors do an initial report, unless you are experienced in building or remodeling and are comfortable with just one inspection along with your own knowledge. Then go back to the seller with what you want addressed or used to negotiate your offering price.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jun 6 2023, 12:52

@AJ Satcher, to me, for this particular situation, you should have just negotiated for a seller concession either in the form of a price reduction or seller contribution towards closing costs. As noted by Bruce, relatively speaking, these items of repair are not major whatsoever. Three inspections for one property are completely unnecessary. All being said, it sounds like the seller has amended to address concerns and repair the items requested, therefore, they are contractually obligated to uphold their agreement. If the seller is not paying for a professional vendor to repair the items, then it sounds like he is attempting to repair them on his own, in which case, I would advise negotiating to have him pay for the new inspections or the respective vendor to certify the repair/replacement. Moving forward, get an amendment in writing that the seller will pay for all future inspections. The current approach will kill this deal. Moreover, as mentioned above, obtaining invoices for seller-repaired items is ideally the way to go about this. Hope this helps!  

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Jun 6 2023, 15:02

If they haven't finished the items after two inspections I would ask for a credit on the price instead of asking them to fix it again. But if the agreement was for them to fix certain items, then I would inspect until they're done (unless there inconsequential enough to let slide)

User Stats

Votes
Sean Richards
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jun 16 2023, 10:47
Quote from @AJ Satcher:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @AJ Satcher:

Hello all,

Major items include:

etc.

Thanks BP community!

All the best 

Hi,

If I'm not mistaken, the FHA appraiser will do an "inspection" to see if the property will go FHA. If it will, then I wouldn't be too considered with the work needed and ask for $$$ off the purchase price. I'm in Atlanta and I'm open to taking a look at the property with you. 

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied Jun 16 2023, 11:01

Are they just ignoring your requests for invoices on completed items agreed upon?