Hi All. A family home recently went into foreclosure after my aunt passed away with a reverse mortgage. Home will be sold in Jan 2024. Bank wants $350K. ARV is $500-580K. Home is in bad shape and will not pass inspection for traditional financing. Home needs about 75K in repairs. I only have $80K cash. I don't want to spend all my cash making repairs to the property unless I can get it back short term. Hard money usually caps around 65-75% LTV. Plus, it needs to be insured. Ideally, I would like to borrow the purchase price and renovation cost so I can refinance out asap into a long-term traditional product. Any ideas?? Anyone want to partner up for a nice return on your capital secured by real estate?
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
2y
@Donald A Brownlee Jr.
If it’s in bad shape $75k seems light for a renovation. There are some lenders that will lend 80% of acquisition and the construction but with it almost being January and the foreclosure date coming up I don’t think you will be able to close in that time frame.
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
2y
@Donald A Brownlee Jr.
If it’s in bad shape $75k seems light for a renovation. There are some lenders that will lend 80% of acquisition and the construction but with it almost being January and the foreclosure date coming up I don’t think you will be able to close in that time frame.
Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
@Donald A Brownlee Jr. - Can you try a hard money loan? Normally hard money lenders require 15-20% down and they cover 100% of the rehab costs. Given that you have $80K, seems like you have enough to go this route. If I were you, I would find a successful local flipper and offer to go 50/50 with them. You found the deal, they bring the expertise, the network, and the lender. You can also shadow a successful flipper and the learn the ropes. Sounds like a win/win for both parties.