General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
K S.
Votes |
30 day rentals AirBNB vs Traditional?

K S.
Posted Feb 28 2024, 13:36

I noticed a lot of associations do not allow <30 day rentals. My question is if I was going to do a mid term rental, would there be any benefit to using AirBNB as a host as opposed to my traditional property management company which also does 30 days leases?

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied Feb 28 2024, 15:12

@K S.

It might depend on if your PM company does all the management. AirBNB will only connect you with guests.  You'll have to do the math on the fees and weigh your time vs what the PM charges. Turnover can be very time consuming. 

User Stats

Votes
K S.
Votes |
Replied Feb 28 2024, 20:12

Thanks Bradley, would you earn more from AirBNB vs Traditional even though they are both 30 days? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
K S.
Votes |
Replied Feb 28 2024, 20:59

oops I see you just answered that. Thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Connie Stainbrook
  • San Diego, Ca
Votes |
  • San Diego, Ca
Replied Feb 29 2024, 17:16

Hi,  I own two units that are 30 day minimum.   I use both Airbnb and VRBO.  I mostly get locals who have a flood, fire, or remodeling.   For the guest it is easy- no need to fill out an application, pay for a credit check.   As a host you can adjust your pricing based on demand.  Which allows me to get the max rent for the season.   I live in San Diego if you have any further questions feel free to reach out.

User Stats

Votes
K S.
Votes |
Replied Feb 29 2024, 22:52

I wasn't sure if you meant to reach out via PM or not so I just followed up in a private message but I figured I'd respond here as well if someone else wants to add.

I guess my followup questions would be:

1) Can a co-host manage it with zero intervention from me like a traditional rental. I read the 30 day rental but didn't seem helpfull for hosts in different timezones.

2) My old condo bill electric bill was nearly $500/month thus I had to sell. SoCal is now like 40-60c/kwh or something like that. Do you have solar panels to curb this? I don't think NEM2 is available any more so forwarding credits is much less beneficial.

User Stats

Votes
Jake Andronico#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Jake Andronico#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Replied Mar 1 2024, 12:58
Quote from @K S.:

I noticed a lot of associations do not allow <30 day rentals. My question is if I was going to do a mid term rental, would there be any benefit to using AirBNB as a host as opposed to my traditional property management company which also does 30 days leases?

Thanks

Super market dependent and property specific. My parents run a very successful MTR in downtown Santa Barbara. 

They have a specialized PM that does an amazing job. I'm sure something similar exists in SD. A few hundred dollar swing per month for a solid PM is an incredible value in my opinion, but to each their own! :) 

Best of luck to you!

User Stats

Votes
K S.
Votes |
Replied Mar 1 2024, 23:17
Quote from @Jake Andronico:
Super market dependent and property specific. My parents run a very successful MTR in downtown Santa Barbara. 

They have a specialized PM that does an amazing job. I'm sure something similar exists in SD. A few hundred dollar swing per month for a solid PM is an incredible value in my opinion, but to each their own! :) 

Best of luck to you!

Thanks Jake

User Stats

Votes
K S.
Votes |
Replied Mar 1 2024, 23:37
Quote from @Bradley Buxton:

@K S.

It might depend on if your PM company does all the management. AirBNB will only connect you with guests.  You'll have to do the math on the fees and weigh your time vs what the PM charges. Turnover can be very time consuming. 

Bradley, are you saying that AirBNB with a co-host will still require my efforts like on pricing and handing the keys over or performing electronic codes assuming a yale lock or something?

Because my current PM who does 30 day rentals takes care of everything the same way they do 1yr leases. But as an out of state investor, I couldn't do AirBNB if it requires me to hand out key codes and to constantly gauge pricing and updating the web site etc. 

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied Mar 2 2024, 09:21
Quote from @K S.:
Quote from @Bradley Buxton:

@K S.

Bradley, are you saying that AirBNB with a co-host will still require my efforts like on pricing and handing the keys over or performing electronic codes assuming a yale lock or something?

Because my current PM who does 30 day rentals takes care of everything the same way they do 1yr leases. But as an out of state investor, I couldn't do AirBNB if it requires me to hand out key codes and to constantly gauge pricing and updating the web site etc. 

Usually after every guest (turnover) there is cleaning and maintenance to be done. The interaction and entry of the guests, and marketing can easily be done remotely with keypads and various rental software platforms. A good property manger will handle anything that requires a person to be on site. Pilot light goes off, stove wont work, heaters off, etc...