Erica Calella
  • Investor
Votes |
Carpenter and Window Contractor Recs near Asheville/ Tips for Negotiating

Erica Calella
  • Investor
Posted Mar 14 2024, 07:25

Hi All!

I recently purchased an investment property that needs some siding work and new windows/ doors. Does anyone have a recommendation for a contractor near Asheville/ Waynesville NC that could help me get a quote for this work?

The contractors I have spoken to are coming in high on the price, so I want to get some more comparative data before deciding. Additionally, I am running into an issue where contractors are already scheduled out six months in advance and I don't think I can wait that long to get this work done. At the same time, I want to pay a fair price and not a premium because I am in a rush.

I am not expert on carpentry, but I would also like to try and negotiate price on the quotes that I have received. Any recommendations on how to do this?

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Davidson
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Mar 14 2024, 11:38

@Erica Calella, a 6-month wait is very common in that region. Perhaps call the Pro Desk at the Home Depot in west Asheville (on Acton Cir). They might be able to help sooner. And they should be very competitive on price.

User Stats

Votes
Tony Savage
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Mar 15 2024, 09:05

You should purchase the materials and drop them at the property.  That will bring down the cost a bit.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jon A.
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Mar 26 2024, 09:22

You don't need a contractor for those repairs in the state of North Carolina. I think what you need is a qualified handyman with less overhead and quicker turnaround. GC's in this area are very busy and have been for years. 

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Davidson
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Asheville, NC
Replied Mar 26 2024, 10:11

Totally agree, @Jon A.