General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Sigmund VanDamme
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Pittsford NY
Votes |
What percentage do you use for Cap Ex Expenses for recently rehabbed single family

Sigmund VanDamme
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Pittsford NY
Posted Mar 22 2024, 11:02

I am trying to sharpen the pencil in regards to my financial model for the single family homes that we own.  We currently use 3% but I am finding that is inadequate and I am wondering if anyone here had a back of the napkin number they use.  I am sure it varies depending on the property and features like age of roof and appliances, etc.

Any guidance much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Sig

User Stats

Votes
Allan C.
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Mar 22 2024, 15:39

@Sigmund VanDamme sharpen the pencil and back of napkin are opposite statements. To do it correctly, take all of your appliances and major items (ie. roof) and amortize costs over the useful life. It’s also not rocket science, so learn to do it correctly the first time and you’ll have way better underwriting for future analysis.

One tip that I use is to reduce the useful life by 25% vs what’s noted online. So if a microwave has a useful life of 7 years, I say it’s closer to 5 years in a rental.

This gives you ratable spend over the long term, but you’ll surely have peaks and valleys in your spend profile, so ensure you have the reserves to carry the peaks.

User Stats

Votes
Sigmund VanDamme
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Pittsford NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Pittsford NY
Replied Mar 24 2024, 08:24

Very helpful - thank you

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.