• Real Estate Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Ahoy Real Estate Agents!!

Porter Rappleye
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Posted Mar 17 2014, 12:17

So... I'm looking to make a drastic life change and need some advice from an expert(s). I am from Salt Lake City, Utah area but am currently working in Phoenix, Arizona. I have a great job but have an even greater passion toward real estate investing. Though my REI experience is limited to two flips, one of which I currently occupy but plan to sell within the next 6 months, my passion continues to grow every day with all the studying I do (especially here on bigger pockets). I've pretty much been a bi-stander up to this point, meaning I don't post topics or comment very often but I do religiously read articles and listen to pod casts on a daily basis and have for quite some time now.

My dilemma is this... My family and I want to move back to Utah so a couple months ago I started Utah real estate school online so I can have access to the MLS among the many other advantages of owning a license while investing in real estate for when we get back. I have never wanted to be a "Real Estate Agent" and honestly, the mere thought of it kind of makes me sick to my stomach. I know I probably offended anyone who's reading this post and for that I apologize, but for some reason real estate agents have always had a very negative connotation in my mind. No quite sure why considering I work in sales... but they just do... ok... sorry!

What are the advantages and disadvantages (if any) to working as a real estate agent for investors? Would you suggest I take the leap and try it out, or is there another rout you would encourage? If you do recommend working as an agent, why type of broker should I affiliate myself with? I'm only half way done with Real Estate School so I'm honestly not even quite sure how I would go about finding a broker to work for, but I'm sure there are types that are better geared for investors.

I have been fortunate over the past couple of years to able to save a decent amount of capital to start investing right away but I just want to make sure I don't jump into a new market blindly.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Loading replies...