How do you find life balance as you scale?

How do you find life balance as you scale?

Member since 2025 · 18 posts · 5 votes

A frequent contributor here recently posted that:

"When you have a dozens of properties, it's more of a constant headache.... Fun would be selling everything, place the 8 figure proceeds in t-bills and bonds and relax. However, the downside would be a massive tax bill and me being bored"

As someone who has a full calendar and lots of personal interests and fun projects and travel I enjoy in my life, that kind of comment scares me as I consider if I want to invest into a flip or a BRRRR, etc.

For those of you who have family, friends, activities, jobs, and other passions that fill up your life, how do you balance active real estate investing? Do you have a number of properties you think is a limit in terms of what is feasible to manage? Do you find PM companies and other strategies helpful to mitigate this problem without being too much financial drain and not screwing things up for you?

Is limiting yourself to flipping and not holding properties a strategy that helps avoid these headaches?

2Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
1y
Quote from @JM Edward:

A frequent contributor here recently posted that:

"When you have a dozens of properties, it's more of a constant headache.... Fun would be selling everything, place the 8 figure proceeds in t-bills and bonds and relax. However, the downside would be a massive tax bill and me being bored"

As someone who has a full calendar and lots of personal interests and fun projects and travel I enjoy in my life, that kind of comment scares me as I consider if I want to invest into a flip or a BRRRR, etc.

For those of you who have family, friends, activities, jobs, and other passions that fill up your life, how do you balance active real estate investing? Do you have a number of properties you think is a limit in terms of what is feasible to manage? Do you find PM companies and other strategies helpful to mitigate this problem without being too much financial drain and not screwing things up for you?

Is limiting yourself to flipping and not holding properties a strategy that helps avoid these headaches?


 To scale you need atleast one of two things:

Time or Money

If you do not have the time, then you need $ which can buy you assets or people to manage those assets. If you have 8 single families and went to an 8 unit yes that could save some time but you are still going to have trouble scaling if you do not have one of the two above.

Personally I think many people overestimate scaling thinking its great - you may learn you do not want to get taht big and as you get older you are much happier keeping life a lot more simple. 

7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @JM Edward:

    A frequent contributor here recently posted that:

    "When you have a dozens of properties, it's more of a constant headache.... Fun would be selling everything, place the 8 figure proceeds in t-bills and bonds and relax. However, the downside would be a massive tax bill and me being bored"

    As someone who has a full calendar and lots of personal interests and fun projects and travel I enjoy in my life, that kind of comment scares me as I consider if I want to invest into a flip or a BRRRR, etc.

    For those of you who have family, friends, activities, jobs, and other passions that fill up your life, how do you balance active real estate investing? Do you have a number of properties you think is a limit in terms of what is feasible to manage? Do you find PM companies and other strategies helpful to mitigate this problem without being too much financial drain and not screwing things up for you?

    Is limiting yourself to flipping and not holding properties a strategy that helps avoid these headaches?


     To scale you need atleast one of two things:

    Time or Money

    If you do not have the time, then you need $ which can buy you assets or people to manage those assets. If you have 8 single families and went to an 8 unit yes that could save some time but you are still going to have trouble scaling if you do not have one of the two above.

    Personally I think many people overestimate scaling thinking its great - you may learn you do not want to get taht big and as you get older you are much happier keeping life a lot more simple. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I find that owning fewer but better and more profitable properties has made it easy for me to self manage and have more time for other things. 

  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @JM Edward fantastic question thanks for posting.  I find that I really go through stages of "feeling" either balanced or chaotic or whathave you, it seems to just be the nature of the business.  The biggest thing I had to get through my head is that there is no "done" and that people will take up all your time if you let them.  This seems basic, but the key to "balance" for me was setting boundaries and limits with myself, and then outward with others.

    Some people touched on it here already, but efficiency to me is the goal, I want to make the most money with the least amount of my time or energy inputs, and certianly don't want to spend my time doing anything that i don't enjoy or feels heavy.  That's the goal or balance I'm striving for.

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    We are putting all future rentals with property managers. Could we save money by managing ourselves? ( probably)

    Managing tenants is not my passion or skill so I’ve accepted that. Maybe there are people that enjoy self management and/ or it is required to be profitable.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.