Experience with Cuyahoga County Sheriff Sales (Foreclosures) — Need Advice

Experience with Cuyahoga County Sheriff Sales (Foreclosures) — Need Advice

Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 6 votes

I’m looking to connect with anyone who has direct experience purchasing properties through Cuyahoga County Sheriff Sales (Ohio) — particularly foreclosure auctions.

A few specific questions I’m hoping to get clarity on:

  1. Has anyone here gone through the Cuyahoga sheriff sale process recently? I’d love to hear how it went — timelines, bidding process, and any lessons learned.

  2. When you buy at a sheriff sale, is the property handed over vacant, or do you have to handle the eviction if it’s still occupied?

  3. How do you verify the title before bidding? Should I involve an attorney ahead of time to check for liens, back taxes, or other encumbrances that might transfer with the property?

I’m trying to understand the full process and potential risks before making a move, so any personal experiences, advice, or recommended resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2Reply
287 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Cleveland / Akron, OH · Member since 2008 · 922 posts · 399 votes
10mo

@Mani Sundaresan In case no one else chimes in, I will give you my experience (albeit dated). We bought our first house at a foreclosure auction, many years ago. Do your own diligence on specifics though. 

1. Most of the properties on the docket get pulled, either in advance of the auction, or at the auction. So you had to preview and prepare offers for many properties that turn out to be a waste of time. You are normally bidding against the bank, who will bid it up to their mortgage amount and then stop. Minimum bid is 2/3 of appraised value. 

2. The property is handed over as-is. We had a couple living there who had convinced the previous owner that they purchased the property through some fake subject to nonsense, but then never made any payments. Likely the woman who was foreclosed on never even knew it was going on. We took over the property and then had to evict the "squatters". Thankfully it only took about a month, but they could have destroyed the house in the process. 

We had to put 10K down at the auction, closing on the balance a month later. The previous owner had a right to square up and get the property back within that period.

3. Title was supposed to be clean at the striking of the gavel. A lot of this was covered with a FAQ page on the sheriff's site. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Cleveland / Akron, OH · Member since 2008 · 922 posts · 399 votes
    10mo

    @Mani Sundaresan In case no one else chimes in, I will give you my experience (albeit dated). We bought our first house at a foreclosure auction, many years ago. Do your own diligence on specifics though. 

    1. Most of the properties on the docket get pulled, either in advance of the auction, or at the auction. So you had to preview and prepare offers for many properties that turn out to be a waste of time. You are normally bidding against the bank, who will bid it up to their mortgage amount and then stop. Minimum bid is 2/3 of appraised value. 

    2. The property is handed over as-is. We had a couple living there who had convinced the previous owner that they purchased the property through some fake subject to nonsense, but then never made any payments. Likely the woman who was foreclosed on never even knew it was going on. We took over the property and then had to evict the "squatters". Thankfully it only took about a month, but they could have destroyed the house in the process. 

    We had to put 10K down at the auction, closing on the balance a month later. The previous owner had a right to square up and get the property back within that period.

    3. Title was supposed to be clean at the striking of the gavel. A lot of this was covered with a FAQ page on the sheriff's site. 

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Mani Sundaresan:

    I’m looking to connect with anyone who has direct experience purchasing properties through Cuyahoga County Sheriff Sales (Ohio) — particularly foreclosure auctions.

    A few specific questions I’m hoping to get clarity on:

    1. Has anyone here gone through the Cuyahoga sheriff sale process recently? I’d love to hear how it went — timelines, bidding process, and any lessons learned.

    2. When you buy at a sheriff sale, is the property handed over vacant, or do you have to handle the eviction if it’s still occupied?

    3. How do you verify the title before bidding? Should I involve an attorney ahead of time to check for liens, back taxes, or other encumbrances that might transfer with the property?

    I’m trying to understand the full process and potential risks before making a move, so any personal experiences, advice, or recommended resources would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance!

    Hey Mani, great questions and props to you for doing your homework before jumping in. I haven’t personally bought through the Cuyahoga County Sheriff Sale, but I’ve followed the process pretty closely since I invest here in Ohio and own 10+ rentals in the Columbus market. From what I’ve seen, properties sold at sheriff sales are typically “as is” and not guaranteed to be vacant, so you may have to handle the eviction yourself if it’s still occupied. Definitely worth involving a local real estate attorney or title company before bidding to check for any liens, back taxes, or other issues that could stick with the property—unlike a traditional sale, those risks are on the buyer. The process can take a few months from bidding to actually getting the deed, so patience is key. On another note, if you’re looking for cash-flowing markets in Ohio with less competition and strong growth, Columbus has been really solid—population and job growth are booming, tons of major companies are moving here, and you can still find properties in the $120–180K range that hit the 1% rule. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 917 votes
    10mo

    @Mani Sundaresan

    Hey Mani, great questions, sheriff sales in Cuyahoga can definitely offer solid opportunities, but they come with layers to navigate. The property isn't guaranteed vacant, so you may need to handle post-sale possession if occupied. Always have a title company or attorney review the lien history before bidding, since taxes, HOA dues, or other encumbrances can survive the sale. The process has become more streamlined online through the county's auction platform, but due diligence upfront is key. I've seen investors do really well here when they balance risk with a solid exit plan and conservative rehab estimates.

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 6 votes
    10mo

    Thanks everyone for the awesome insights — seriously appreciate it! 🙌

    Sounds like sheriff sales are equal parts treasure hunt, patience test, and mild chaos 😂. Definitely taking the hint to double-check titles, expect the unexpected, and maybe keep an eviction attorney on speed dial.

    Appreciate the Columbus tip too — might be a nice “Plan B” market!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Mani Sundaresan:

    I’m looking to connect with anyone who has direct experience purchasing properties through Cuyahoga County Sheriff Sales (Ohio) — particularly foreclosure auctions.

    A few specific questions I’m hoping to get clarity on:

    1. Has anyone here gone through the Cuyahoga sheriff sale process recently? I’d love to hear how it went — timelines, bidding process, and any lessons learned.

    2. When you buy at a sheriff sale, is the property handed over vacant, or do you have to handle the eviction if it’s still occupied?

    3. How do you verify the title before bidding? Should I involve an attorney ahead of time to check for liens, back taxes, or other encumbrances that might transfer with the property?

    I’m trying to understand the full process and potential risks before making a move, so any personal experiences, advice, or recommended resources would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance!


     Properties are handed over As-Is so if there are squatters in there you'll have to evict them. Some of the gnarliest evictions are foreclosure evictions too. The ones that end in violence are usually foreclosure evictions.

  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7mo

    @Ryan Arth

    I saw yourresponse about completing eviction about a month for a sheriff auction purchase, and I’m hoping you can share some guidance on how you achieved that timeline.

    I recently purchased a property through the Cuyahoga County Sheriff Auction. The deed has been recorded, but the property is occupied and I have not been able to identify or reach the occupant.

    Here’s what I’ve done so far:

    • - Knocked on the door while I was in Cleveland (I’m out of state)
    • - Sent people 5 times to knock, doors locked from inside, car in garage, they dont answer
    • - Posted a notice of new ownership with my contact information
    • - Sent mail to the property
    • - Attempted to reach the prior owner using case records (no response)

    The occupant will not answer the door or respond, even when there are signs someone is inside (car in driveway, door locked from inside). Based on skip-trace tools, it appears someone other than the former owner may have been living there for about 5 years.

    An eviction lawyer I spoke with said that if it’s tenant-occupied, I would need to give a 90-day notice before starting eviction. Since there is currently no rent being paid and I’m on a 6-month bridge loan, that delay would be very costly for me.

    Could you share how you were able to complete your eviction in about 30 days after the sheriff sale? Any steps, strategy, or attorney/process recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you in advance for any insight you can share.

  • Developer · Cleveland / Akron, OH · Member since 2008 · 922 posts · 399 votes
    7mo

    @Seyi Kongi Well it seems like paying them to leave isn't an option if you cannot reach them. You are going to have to follow the formal process if that isn't going to happen. 

    My situation was in Lakewood, not in Cleveland proper. I would start the process as soon as possible, especially if it will take 90 days before you can even file for eviction. And figure out what your plan is for the end of your bridge loan, as this situation has gone sideways on you.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 210 posts · 79 votes
    7mo

    CAUTION: Some situations can get hairy if you don’t know how to properly engage the occupants. Like having concrete poured down the drains.

    Most recent one we did was for an out of state investor. She bought the property from the sheriff's sale and had occupants. A creative agreement was reached. They vacated without a fuss. We made some improvements and sold it. She got double-digit returns.

    In other intense we’ve rented to the previous owner, even sold the house back to them.

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Sheriff sales can be solid but you're right to dig deep first. One thing that saved me headaches: pull the sheriff's deed history on similar properties in that area from the last 6 months. Shows you actual sale prices vs what was owed, plus you can see if any got cancelled last minute. Also check if Cuyahoga requires certified funds day-of or allows wire transfers. What's your backup plan if you win but find surprise liens after closing?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.