WHO has helped you on BiggerPockets?

WHO has helped you on BiggerPockets?

Brandon TurnerPro Member
Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Name something you've learned from someone on BiggerPockets (podcast, forums, blog, whatever) and tag the person from whom you learned it. Name as many people as you want, but please limit your posts to one-person-per-post.

1Reply
430 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y

This is a great thread!

@Joshua D. - thank you!

@Brandon Turner - I love you!

@Serge S. - I can't quite define how I feel about you, but I had to mention..:)

@Bill Gulley - I've gained so much insight from you and resect for you...

But the prize goes to...@Brian Burke - thank you indeed Brian!

See this reply in the discussion

226 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks @Karen Margrave

    I have never blocked anyone, though about it, but never have LOL

    Don't worry, I appreciate the thoughts. :)

  • Real Estate Investor · CA · Member since 2009 · 174 posts · 39 votes
    12y

    For the many who helped so many different ways, should you ever need a favor I expect to return the your favors!

    J. Scott

    K Marie Poe

    Seth Williams

    Bill Gulley

    David C

    Jon Holdman

    Aaron Mazzrillo

    Rick Harmon

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2012 · 276 posts · 77 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Jerry W.

    It has been an absolute pleasure working with you to date!! It's nice finding investors who 1)know what they want 2) will not beat around the bush 3)have the ability to move quickly

    I was just talking with our local REI group here and that was one of my main things I brought up. Everyone wants to be an investor, but 90% of people don't take action and I was as guilty as everyone else.

    This site and the people here have helped me leaps and bounds stop sitting idly and being "ok" with where I was at and a lot of you have been major reason why. For one @Jerry W. & @Tony Salazar for having faith in my ability to not "steer" them wrong and not only help my business grow, but in turn help them grow theirs.

    @Shawn Holsapple has been a good contact that has helped me source things outside my market and always been nothing but helpful when sharing ideas, thoughts, and contacts.

  • Amanda HanPro Member
    Accountant · Fullerton, CA · Member since 2009 · 139 posts · 68 votes
    12y

    @Will Barnard for letting me know of this wonderful community. @Brandon Turner for your thoughtful posts and funny stories.@Kaaren Hall

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @J Scott (someone please @mention him for me, mine never works with his name) I have learned so much from you on flipping properties, and your professionalism.

    @Joel Owens your knowledge of commercial real estate is so helpful, and impressive. You're another I @mention quite often!

    @Don Konipol You've chimed in on so... many conversations for me

    @Will Barnard on the southern California market, and luxury flips I've learned a lot from you!

    @Sharon Vornholt On blogging, there's nobody that adds more value on the site! and your in depth answers are so helpful.

    @K. Marie Poe (another I can't @mention - I think it's the initials that mess things up) Anyway, your experience and knowledge of your niche are extremely helpful.

    @Jay Hinrichs Your knowledge of lending and private/hard money always is needed

    THIS IS MY 3,333 POST!! lol

  • Investor · Smithfield, UT · Member since 2013 · 25 posts · 1 vote
    12y
    Doug Lucky Larsen, I learned about phantom bidders on auction sites, loved his podcast!
  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Since I do not do much wholesaling in the "biblical" sense, and I coach a few folks in creative deal structuring, I email this re: learning wholesaling, whether they are on BP or not.

    @J Scott you rock.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Now on the subject of wholesaling - flipping, if you have never talked to a rehab seller or written a rehab quote, look at this link.

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/store

    Buy this book

    http://get.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook/

    Listen to J's pod cast

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/03/21/flipping-houses-101-j-scott/

    Read these articles

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/articles/category/flipping?page=1

    and

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/articles/category/wholesaling

    That is really all you need for Wholesaling 101."

    -----------------------------------------------------------------

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    12y

    @Karen Margrave - That is sweet of you to say that, but I am in awe when of your story.

    I can't imagine having to do what you did; moving, starting your business again and not only surviving but thriving. It's an amazing story.

    Sharon

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2014 · 152 posts · 63 votes
    12y

    I'd really like to thank @Joshua D. for bringing the BP community together and making it a free resource that anyone can utilize to learn about RE investing.

    I'd also like to thank @Brandon Turner for tag teaming with Josh on all of the podcasts thus far. You guys and your guests have contributed ENORMOUSLY to my real estate investing education and I always can't wait to hear the next episode each week!

    I'm also forever indebted to all of those that have answered the questions that I have had and questions others have already inquired about that were on my mind.

    In a world sometimes filled with schemes, greed, bad contractors, and "gurus", the biggerpockets community shows in my mind that individual RE investors from all walks of life have truly found a place where they can congregate, learn, teach, and grow from one another as one collective body of people- all for FREE!

    Happy Investing BPers!

  • Real Estate Agent · Hackensack, NJ · Member since 2014 · 321 posts · 412 votes
    12y

    @Scott Costello maybe we can do some deals together to pay for your surgery!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @J Scott , you rock. Thanks for the mention...it's an honor to be mentioned by you. You've provided so much value to BP Nation...I don't even know where to start.

    @Jon Holdman, for your analytical mind and openly sharing with people if their deal is a good one or a bad one....

    @Bill Gulley, for your "BS Meter" that detects the "gurus" or the wannabees here and repels them (LOL)...

    and of course to @Brandon Turner and @Joshua Dorkin for putting up BP and giving me a chance to be heard in a podcast.

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    12y

    I'll jump on the BP godfather bandwagon...

    @Brandon Turner for making introductions that could change my business, and my life, in ways I wouldn't have imagined.

    @Joshua D. for creating a thriving community that is directly responsible for adding three digits in front of the comma to my income so far this year (and the first digit isn't a 0 or 1 either!). I can't remember how much my Pro membership cost, but when expressed as a percentage of the income I've earned as a result of BP connections, it doesn't even come close to one percent. Move over @Warren Buffet (WHAT? That @mention didn't work, he's not a member of BP??!) I found an investment with a better return than Berkshire stock...BP Pro.

  • Malin, OR · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    i just found this site...it is awesome and very informing! i come from the old school where equity was king and now am having some difficulty borrowing on an investment single family home with fifty percent down because of our debt to income ratio...i always worked to avoid paying taxes...

  • Real Estate Investor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2013 · 877 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Marty Boardman

    @Karen Rittenhouse

    @Brian Burke

    @Frank Gallinelli

    @Neal Frankle

    @Auther Gracie

    @Ryan Lundquist

    @Al Williamson

    @J Scott

    @Sharon Vornholt

    @Leau Yang

    @Ben Leybovich

    @Glen & Amber Schworm

    @Clay Huber

    @Jeff Brown

    @Danny Johnson

    @Travis Daggett cy Royce

    @Jerry Puckett

    @Tucker Merrihen

    @James Vermillion

    @Chris Clothier

    @Michael Lacava

    @Jason & Katherine Grote

    @Dave Van Horn

    @Dawn Anastasi

    @Kenny Estes

    @Lamar Cannon

    @Will Barnard

    @Sam Craven

    @Anson Young

    @Paula Pant

    @Kevin Perk

    @Aaron Mazzillo

  • Real Estate Investor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2013 · 877 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Seth Williams

    @Douglas Larson

    @Michael Nelson

    @Shaun Riely

    @Michael Woodward

    @Tom Sylvester

    @John Klaus

  • Real Estate Investor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2013 · 877 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Brandon Turner I have received a gold nugget from each one of these presenters.

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Thank you, @J Scott, and you have helped me immeasurably. I also can't even begin to think of everyone. It's like Karen said, depending on the situation, you can be helped by a post made by someone months or even years in the past.

    In the lending arena, I'd say @Don Konipol

    But overall, I'd say @Joshua D. , both for creating this site and consistently sticking to it to provide such a great resource for others, and for our discussions about selling speakers and free events, which sparked our local group. And because of you, Josh, our group is very successful.

  • Wholesaler · Whippany, NJ · Member since 2009 · 412 posts · 183 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Hill:
    @Scott Costello maybe we can do some deals together to pay for your surgery!

    I'm game

  • Real Estate Investor · Dix Hills, NY · Member since 2010 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    Thanks to @Joshua D. for creating the site and @Brandon Turner along with Josh for all of the podcasts, and to all of the contributors for all of their articles.

    It is great to be able to tap into a world of like minded individuals, to hear success stories from others who have been where you have been or want to be, and to get a daily reminder that it can be done and that it is worth doing.

  • Goshen, KY · Member since 2009 · 835 posts · 683 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the shout out @Christopher Hunter .

    Sharon

  • Investor · Fall River, MA · Member since 2014 · 399 posts · 300 votes
    12y

    @Ben Leybovich Totally schooled me about "desire-ability", and helped me define a "waldo". Which even though I think of myself as fully capable of handling a Waldo, I honestly would rather put that energy into 2 great deals than one PITA deal.

    @Brandon Turner Thanks for the perfect post on the right books to be reading. Also I was really inspired by the step by step on how you got you properties. Also the post on how to make a million $ in real estate, where you explained the theory of trading up step by step with realistic figures.

  • Dion DePaoliPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Northwest Indiana, IN · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    This thread is fun but it makes me feel (1) like it is Thanksgiving/Christmas season or (2) there is a secret plot to round all these folks up for a BP reality show.

    None the less, I enjoy the site immensely and all that comes with it. I think big thanks for all of this goes to @Joshua D. and @Brandon Turner.

    For the contributors and folks with opinions and willing to discuss things, and frankly the NEWBIES scared but willing to ask the question (remember that day?) I think it is almost a cultural thing. I think BP birthed and maintains a little sub-culture about the site and it's folks and for all of that, everyone deserves a pat on the back. Lots of like minded people brought together under one common interest in real estate assets. It's a beautiful thing.

    Some of the folks who I enjoy the most but by no means is a limited list would be in random order:

    (@ not working right, sorry for any misspellings)

    @Bill Gulley
    @Wayne Brooks
    @Jon Holdman
    @J Scott
    @Steven Hamilton II
    @K. Marie
    @Will Bernard
    @Brian Hancock
    @Ann Bellamy
    @Don Konipol
    @Steve Babiak
    @Roy
    @Jerry W
    @David C
    @Chris Martin

    I am sure there are some I am missing. As I said, I think big props go to all who participate. It has made BP pretty special in my opinion. Thanks!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    Hey folks - this is an amazing thread and I want to thank everyone who mentioned me and everyone else who spends their time here on BP. This is really a one of a kind community and it wouldn't be without all of you.

    NOTE: To those people having issues with mentions. 1) We're looking into the issue, but do note that you can only mention your colleagues OR those people who previously posted in a forum thread.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Ann Bellamy She too is one of those posters that I've probably driven nuts, seeking out her opinions!

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Thank you, @Dion DiPaoli, nice of you to mention me. You are right up there for me in your comments on lending.

    @Karen Margrave, thank you. You don't drive me nuts, I've learned more about new construction from you than from my own contractor.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.