Finding out who is actually the seller of a proptery

4 Replies

I'm out and about everyday. While I am driving I'm stopping at homes that have posting in the front windows. It's obvious that the owners have long gone. When I try to find out who the mortgage company may be I run into a wall and it has not made it to the MLS listings. Is there a way to find out who holds the responsibility for the property so that I can approach them with a possible offer? Any comments will be appreciated.

try the website beenverified 

I am not sure about South Carolina,  but in Arizona most of the county records are online. Try doing a Google search on your county recorders office.  You can usually search by address and find the owners names and it will often indicate if there is a mortgage on the property.  If records are online you can also look up recorded documents for that specific property.  

hi david. doing a county records search is a good idea. you can also check for any foreclosure proceedings and such while you are there. the absolute fastest way to find the bank that holds the property is to call the local treasurers or tax authority office. someone is paying the taxes, ask who. most of the time, the bank will either pay them themselves or use an escrow agency to do it such as core logic. if that is the case, then call the escrow agent and see if they will give you that information. sometimes they will, and other times they won't. good luck

You don't care who the bank is, unless they already own it, then you just have to wait for it be listed anyway.  You want to find the owner, who has not been foreclosed out  yet, as the bank has no power sell it now.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.