bank loan vs 401k loan

2 Replies

So what is your opinion? We are using some savings and have to go with either 401k or bank loan to get started.  Think we are crazy for using 10-15% of our 401k? I feel its ny money and the penalty doesn't make or break us by any means. Id rather lose some up front rather than start of in debt before we even buy our first property.  I'm thinking I know what type of responses I'm going to get....lay it on me, I'm ready!

NA Cummins 

you will have to pay penalty plus taxes on both, federal and state level and depending on your tax bracket combined this would be as much as 40% in some cases.

I agree with you that you need to get out of debt first before you start investing, but not at this cost. I don't know your situation, but if you are serious about your financial future you need to set strict budget and eliminate all non-essential expenses. Use debt snowball method to kill your debts one at the time and then save all those funds towards investing. If you stay focused and diligent you can make this happen quickly.

Wish you the best! 

Medium logo 19 1Dmitriy Fomichenko, Sense Financial | [email protected] | (949) 228‑9393 | https://www.sensefinancial.com/free-consultation/ | CA Agent # 01876563

Use a bank loan before withdrawing from your 401k.  If you have the option to BORROW from your 401k that might not be all bad. But remember unless its your primary residence you're limited to a 5-year term.

Dawn Anastasi, Core Properties, LLC | http://www.coreprop.biz | Podcast Guest on Show #29

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you