Showing Properties to potenial renters

9 Replies

@Precious Thompson , after I have vetted the potential applicant(s) initially through phone or e-mail, I  like to schedule 3 or so 10-15 minutes apart.  Hopefully I can get my favorite to come first.  This also limits the hassle for the vacating tenant if they're still there.  Early on I had 'open houses' but I found them to be a huge time waster with a lot of applicants who get angy when you say no thanks.  With open houses my policy of first come, first served gets blurry as well.   In my strong rental market, I place my ads on craigslist and have them reply by e-mail only initially.  In my ad I ask them to tell me how many in their household and if they have pets.  If they don't answer my questions in their initial e-mail, they get no response from me. I don't want to be harsh but I need people that can follow simple instructions and not waste a ton of my valuable time.  Good luck!    

Promotion
Ashcroft Capital
A national multifamily investment firm
Three Reasons Investors May Prefer Real Estate
Read three reasons why investing in real estate private placements may provide several advantages.
Read More Here

I prefer scheduling same day, 30-minute intervals.  I usually schedule Saturdays noon to 4pm, then if that fills up, will either make it earlier/later, or schedule Sunday afternoon if I'm free.   It gives me time to actually speak to interested parties, yet they know others are interested as they've made only one of the available appointments that day.    I've been to showings where they have an open house for a few hours (great for getting a feel for the area), and I do not like that scenario as anyone can show up, like me looking to compare rental units.  I don't schedule people together as I just think it's rude.   

I try to schedule 3 or 4 within a one hour block.  I find driving out to show a property for one individual is a waste of time as they often no show.  Also if you have your appointment overlapping, it creates a sense of competition, so you can usually get more applications in quicker.

I schedule people one at a time in 15 minute increments. Occasionally some will show up five or ten minutes late which runs into the next showing. Sometimes this works as it puts pressure serious applicants to get their application n quickly knowing others are actually looking to rent the place also.

I schedule everyone at exactly the same time, once a week.  Rarely are there actually more than one group there at the same time.  If that does happen, its fine.  Competition works in your favor.

I also tell people to call me 30 minutes before the appointment or else I won't be there.  I do not call them, that doesn't help.  But I typically three or more groups schedule and half or so of those will call and will show up.

Originally posted by @Elizabeth C.:

I schedule everyone in 15 minute increments. I find that there are lots of no shows.

I used to do this exact same thing, but also had way too many no shows.  It was a huge waste of time for me.  So now I do two things that have helped out tremendously:

1) Schedule everyone at the SAME time.  

2) Request that they call me one hour before the appt time to CONFIRM that they will be there.  (I also explain that if they don't call, I won't be there.)

When people arrive at the house, I explain to them that there may be others viewing the house at the same time, but to not worry about them and just take their time, look around the house, and then let me know if they have any questions.

I then follow-up with them when they're done to see if I can answer any questions for them and to give them an application.

I think the group showings are best because it saves my time and creates a sense of urgency on behalf of the people viewing the house because they know there are other interested applicants.

The best tip, however, (which is something I actually learned from BP) is the part about requiring them to call one hour beforehand.  This weeds out so many no-shows.  In fact, I've never had anyone who actually called to confirm not show up afterwards. 

I do "open house" showings during a 1-hour time period.  People are free to come any time during that one hour time period.  I usually arrive 15/20 minutes beforehand to do the following:

- Get all the lights turned on.

- Plug in air fresheners.  (I prefer Air Wick apple cinnamon.)

- Sweep/vacuum and wipe down the kitchen counters.

- Make sure there are plenty of applications and pens out as well as a sample rental agreement.

- Open the front door and turn on the porch lights.

- I like to set out vases of fake flowers, and towels in the bathroom.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you