• Real Estate Consultant
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
What is Appreciation?

William Robison
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Kansas City, MO
Posted Nov 16 2014, 07:04

While attending this weekends fantastic San Francisco Real Estate Networking Summit with nearly 200 investors from the BP (unofficial event), there was the usual discussion about APPRECIATION.

After listing to some of my colleagues give their midwestern take on the concept, and understanding the general feeling about the subject on the BP...it dawned on me.....

We throw around this word of Appreciation mostly as a noun.  

In certain markets, mostly coastal areas, Appreciation is the expectation of the increase in value of a property.  Ask some friends and fellow investors involved in the early 2000s about their thoughts on appreciation.  Those with the best upward increases in value were usually the hardest hit during the recession.  

At the Summit, I made the comment that APPRECIATION is a verb.  I stand corrected, only APPRECIATE is a verb.  But I believe that an investor should Appreciate their investment.  Most of us are in the business of investing to make money, but at the same time, you need to enjoy what you are doing to really be successful.  You need to appreciate it.

The next time that you think that your goal is Appreciation (n), consider those from early 2000s that lost so much.  Its really a gamble and without a crystal ball, no one knows for sure when that will come to a halt....or ask two economist for their opinion.

At the end of the day, to appreciate is an achievable goal and appreciation is a hope and a gamble.  Investing is about calculated risk taking.  Consider what "game" you want to play the next time you go to Las Vegas.

So, back to my friends and colleagues from the midwest, who regularly get asked the question about appreciation, as do I....ask the investor if they mean Appreciation or Appreciate.  One is an enjoyment (and cashflow) and the other is just a gamble.  What are Your stakes?

Loading replies...