Anyone Renting Out Timeshares As A Real Estate Investment?

3 Replies

I know many times they are a waste of money..... My wife and I were suckered in on a trip to Las Vegas before we were even married or better yet even engaged! What  happens in Vegas...... Doesn't always stay in Vegas! Anyways, I have thought about renting out vacation weeks for cheap to make a small profit. I was thinking like $500 per week. Has anyone done this? Got themselves in trouble for doing this? Where have others advertised? We have seen some benefit from out purchase and stayed in some amazing places. It seems kind of like a vacation rental. Something I am not familiar with doing. I have experience with buy and hold and fix and flips. 

I suppose you could make some money depending on the cost of the maintenance fees and any other fees that are required; these fees are the limiting factor since most timeshare can be had for next to nothing on the re-sale market.  

I think the last time I did an analysis of how much I was paying for the one timeshare I own per night, it varied from about $11 in the winter to quite a bit more in the summer.

Of course, the fees could suddenly change one day or they can decide to ask for more money for "upgrades".

I'd be wary of who you rent your timeshare to because they could destroy it and  then leave you with the bill.

In many cases it is cheaper to use timeshare points to vacation but in some cases the maintenance fees from the timeshare will actually cost more than it would cost to book the same amount of time at the same resort without "owning".

This post has been removed.

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Get the Ultimate Beginner's Guide