What are the benefits of obtaining your RE license?

4 Replies

Greetings investors! As the title suggests, I would like to know how obtaining a real estate license helps a real estate investor. The biggest benefit I know of is having access to the MLS but what else justifies getting the license? (Not that the MLS isn't a phenomenal tool)

For example, do you get properties at a discount, or are certain fees omitted because you are a real estate agent? (Are you somehow saving money by being licensed) Can a wholesaler benefit from getting a license? Etc.. 

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

• Access to the property keys to get inside to look without waiting
  • half of the sales commission if you are buying or selling
503-871-2961

access to the MLS so you have first bite at all those juicy deals at 30% below market, I keep hearing about

I hope you also understand the drawbacks too. It's not all roses 

Control over my deals

Access to MLS,

exponential learning on all things real estate

learning all the pieces of real estate bc you work with different ppl and investor types.

involvement in things outside my own norm

analyzing deals I otherwise wont even bother, or have the capital to buy

Motivation to go into areas I would probably never go to

sometimes your license can be a burden in investing.  For instance you need the listing agent in competing situations to be you ally.  two offers same price or close to the same price. Let's say one is a buyer that he's been working with for quite some time and the other is you wanting to buy the deal and take 50% of the commission. Let's say you get that deal. As an investor you want to close that deal and be the first person in the world that agent calls when he or someone in his office lists a similar deal. Hard to get a Birddog to hunt in that situation. He'll be reluctant to tell you about hot deals where he/she isn't the listing agent will call you after he's been rejected by buyers that aren't after a paycheck when he is the agent. Besides as an investor you make 100 to and agents pennies.  Access to the mls is a positive. Access to off market deals is better. You can get that agent to set you up to get automatic alerts as new listings come available in your strike zone now without a license

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.