How to determine rental demand in an area

5 Replies

Hi everyone. I am a complete noobie. We are considering moving out of our house but keeping it as a rental. So I am wondering how I can determine the rental demand in my area for my specific type of home. I guess what would make me comfortable is seeing some numbers regarding recent rentals - volume, time on market and rental prices Thanks

I just used rentometer.com

they were pretty accurate on what I could get for rent in that specific area.

I lowered the rent by $50 month from what they suggested  and I had it rented out in 4 days!!!

Have a Realtor pull comps on properties rented in your neighborhood grid in the last 24-months with the same bed/bath configuration as your house. Make sure they include the DOM (days on market) for all properties. Look at the DOM for properties in similar condition to yours. That will give you a good basic understanding of both demand and relative pricing in your area.

Thanks for the input. I have tried rent range. It gave high med low and the range was large. So it seemed to be a guessing game in terms of which to pick. And yes, asking a realtor is on my to do list. Guess I was looking for something that I could do on my own quickly. Thanks again for taking the time to answer

You can also obtain rent levels by the MSA by HUD through your local housing authority, you didn't state the estimated value of the property. You can also look to the CAP rate method to estimate where rents should be. The demand in that rent range is harder to find as that goes to the demographics of the area. The time on the market is also a demographic question, a luxury home will usually take longer than a lower priced home, obviously, you're catering to a smaller target market.

It will be simpler to ask Realtors, property managers and other investors. They will tell you what range they would rent it for if they were to manage it. Then, if you are going to manage it, drop the rents slightly as they have a better marketing pool, generally than will an individual. You marketing time may also be a little longer as some PMs have waiting applicants. Good luck :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you