What should I study in college?

5 Replies

I would like to eventually become a full time house flipper/investor years after working at a job with decent income. Is there a subject in school to study that will help me with real estate investing and house flipping? Any advice is appreciated.

@Isaac Howell , my friend!

Study what you enjoy! Any major will help you lead you to your passion. You could study English literature, Anthropology or even History and become a good flipper. You'll end up using your knowledge to gain better dimensions to your final goal. English litt, might help you write compelling marketing materials to find good properties; Anthropology may allow you to understand different cultural shifts in the housing markets; history could teach a lot of market timings in Real Estate.

I studies Electrical Engineering and Economics, neither of which gives me advantages in Real Estate. But what I studied helps me, be a good quantative analyst, assess risk and strive for better investment management. When I first got into RE, I felt I should've studied finance and law, because it would help me structure deals and work with larger investment firms. However, now it doesn't matter. If my burning desire is strong enough, my lack of the "appropriate degree" is a non-issue to follow my passion.

Btw, you're in a better situation that most people who do not know what they want in life! I'm sure you'll do well!

Cheers, Mike!

Thanks! That's very insightful and helpful! I definitely agree with you. I'm just afraid of wasting time and money studying something that I end up not enjoying.

I agree that there are many college majors that have transferable skills to RE.  I got my BA in accounting 20 years ago, and the business, systems, and math principles I learned then are still used today.  It also makes you aware of how critical the administrative side of a business is.  Your other interest will guide you to the intangible aspects of investing. 

finance!   A deep understanding of how the numbers work will be beneficial for your re investing career! Besides you could probably easily get a job with that degree.

They say 50% of people dont work / use there college degree.  If you are going to flip... Try construction mgmt?  Also pick something you want / enjoy doing to have a backup plan or simply to get started. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here