• Real Estate Agent
  • Brockton, MA
Votes |
Subject to & Lease Options

Andrew Spencer
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brockton, MA
Posted Apr 19 2016, 18:36

I would like to reach out to the experience in the community about these two strategies. Lease options & Subject to. Through your experience what are the benefits of both strategies and how best to use them?

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Apr 21 2016, 07:00

I have bought sub2 a handful of times.  It is fast and can get you in to a property with little money.  That is the benefit and the drawback.  A person can buy sub2 all day long, because it is "easy" but that doesn't mean those are good deals.  For me, a sub2 deal is for a quick rehab and refinance, or rehab and sell.  I do not want the underlying loan in place, nor the on-going association with the previous owners' credit.  If things go wrong, it is *their* credit at risk, which is an unsatisfactory way to do business (for me).  

I have sold on a lease option, but this was before the days of Dodd-Frank. I'd have to qualify my tenant-buyers with an RMLO, and so far I have not undertaken that strategy. This is largely because we have moved to holding our properties, not selling them. Once all of our mortgage slots are filled up, I might consider buying on a lease option, but we haven't had the opportunity, nor have I actively pursued L/O on the buy side. When I have asked sellers if that is an option they would consider, "selling" on an option, they have all wanted to sell outright and not do a lease option.

There are many others who would do the opposite from the above, and perhaps they will chime in.